A tasty cream of tomato soup prepared in your instant pot. It only takes 5 minutes to cook and is a versatile dish that you can personalize for your tastes.
First off, let me apologize for missing our usual Monday post. We’ve had a busy couple of days and it appears the rest of our month will be booked up soon.
Not that I’m complaining because, it’s all been positive. If you follow us on social media, you should see some happy posts very soon.
Moving on to what’s important, the recipe. Once again, the rain continues here in Northwest Arkansas. But, that’s okay, because that means it’s soup weather.
For today’s recipe, I finally got around to using the Instant Pot for myself. I’ll be honest here, it’s not a kitchen appliance I use often, but I’m happy with my debut attempt.
It’s not perfect, but it’s definitely tasty. A word of warning, if you prefer a blander or less spice-fill dish, then check out my tips below. Let’s get rolling!
Cream of Tomato Soup Instructions:
First, dump the broth, onion, garlic, thyme, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, and tomatoes into your instant pot.
That’s what makes this recipe so simple, it’s just dump and go. You know me, I love easy recipes like this because they cut down on time in the kitchen.
Next, seal the pot, set it on Manual or High Pressure to cook for 5-minutes. This is part I always have to ask Kim about because of my inexperience with the Instant Pot.
It should be noted there is a resource Kim uses to help her with Instant Pot recipes. Check out the link because there is a lot of useful information on that page.
Then, once the soup has cooked, do a quick release, remove the lid, and let the soup cool for at least 10-minutes. Now, it’s very important to let the soup cool a little before adding the heavy cream to the Instant Pot.
Otherwise, it could (will) break. You can use less heavy cream or even milk to cut down of the fat content of the cream of tomato soup.
Last, slowly stir in the heavy cream and use salt and pepper to taste just before serving. This soup is heavy with the flavors of basil and thyme, so if that’s not your thing, then reduce the amounts.
Cream of Tomato Soup Tips:
- For a creamy version of the this soup, then simply use an immersion blender or your food processor to blend the finished soup. You could also use a standard blender too. Either way, to avoid burning yourself, be sure to let the soup come to room temperature before blending in your food processor or blender.
- Just to be safe, we added to the canned tomatoes last so they wouldn’t stick to the bottom of the Instant Pot. While the risk of that happening was low, better to be safe than sorry. One other note, this cream of tomato soup can be made on the stove. However, it will need to cook for 30-minutes before you add the heavy cream.
- Spice amounts are ALWAYS optional. Feel free to explore your cooking tastes and change things up a bit. Or, stick to what you know and adjust the recipe accordingly. In other words, if you feel a recipe might be too salty or spicy, then you can always change the spice amounts. That’s just part of cooking.
- 2 14.5 Ounce Cans of Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Diced Onion, (by volume)
- 4 Cloves Garlic, (minced)
- 2 Teaspoons Thyme, (dried or fresh)
- 2 Teaspoons Basil, (dried or fresh)
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- First, dump the broth, onion, garlic, thyme, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, and tomatoes into your instant pot.
- Next, seal the pot, set it on Manual or High Pressure to cook for 5-minutes.
- Then, once the soup has cooked, do a quick release, remove the lid, and let the soup cool for at least 10-minutes.
- Last, slowly stir in the heavy cream and use salt and pepper to taste just before serving.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a 1/2-cup serving of soup. There are approximately 8-servings. The soup can be stored in your fridge in a sealed container for up to 3-days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 0.5 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 1g