Tender chuck roast seasoned with fresh herbs, garlic, and a savory broth. All the best ingredients take center stage in our Instant Pot French dip sandwich!
The traditional French Dip sandwich, something you won’t find on our website. However, what you will find is an Instant Pot French dip recipe that will knock your socks off!
Because Kim used a long natural release, the meat was tender and juicy. The meat drippings, or au jus, were perfect for dipping the sandwich.
We didn’t use any packaged gravies or mixes for our dipping sauce. This one is mostly homemade from start to finish, the way a French dip should be made.
Since the recipe takes awhile, the directions will be longer. So, get ready, we’re about to start cooking!
Instant Pot French Dip Recipe Instructions:
First, place the liner into the pressure cooker. Next, start chopping the beef, carrots, celery, garlic, and onions. Don’t worry about being precise.
You’re not going to serve the vegetables with the beef, so it doesn’t matter how the veggies are chopped. Just make sure they fit in the liner with the meat.
Now, place all the vegetables, along with the rosemary, thyme, and broth into the bottom of the liner.
Lay the roast in on top of the veggies. Add salt and pepper, if desired. After that, place the lid on the machine and seal the valve.
Press the manual or high pressure button and set it to cook for thirty (30) minutes. Afterward, when timer goes off, allow for a twenty-five (25) minute natural release.
Then, remove the beef from the broth and shred it. Strain the liquid from the liner and toss the herbs and veggies in the trash.
The time has come to create the sandwiches. This is my favorite part of the recipe.
Assembling the sandwiches:
Start by preheating your broiler or oven to 350° F. Then, grab the bread you are using and add the shredded meat. Place everything on a sheet pan.
The next part is optional. For our recipe, we chose to use provolone cheese. If you don’t like cheese on your Instant Pot French dip, then simply skip this step.
Last, place the sandwiches into the oven to bake for three (3) to five (5) minutes, or until the bread is toasted. Once they’re done, remove them from the oven and serve the sandwiches with a side of au jus.
That’s it, your Instant Pot French dip recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the meal and wish you all the best 🙂
What is au jus made of?
The term is French and loosely translated it means, “with juice.” Traditional au jus is made of the meat drippings. For our recipe it consists of the juices created by the beef, carrots, celery, garlic, and herbs.
I suppose each au jus would be slightly different based on the meat and the ingredients used to flavor it.
How do I keep roast beef moist after it’s cooked?
We usually store the meat in an airtight container along with the drippings. The juices seem to keep the meat moist even after it has been stored for a few days.
Instant Pot French Dip RecipePrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 2 pounds Chuck Tender Roast (cut into chunks)
- 1 Cup Beef Stock
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Rosemary (or one ((1)) sprig)
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Thyme (or one ((1)) small sprig)
- 1/2 Cup carrots (cut into chunks)
- 3/4 Cup white onion (cut into chunks)
- 1/4 Cup celery (cut into chunks)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 4 Large Hoagie Buns
- 4 ounces Provolone Cheese (shredded or eight ((8)) slices)
- Place the cut vegetables, herbs, garlic, and beef broth into the lining of the Instant Pot. Set the pieces of beef on top of the vegetables. Salt and pepper the beef to taste.
- Close the lid to the Instant Pot, and make sure the valve is set to sealing. Use the manual (pressure cook) button, then adjust the time to 30 minutes.
- After the time is up, allow a full natural release (about 25 minutes). After the natural release finishes, remove the lid and remove the pieces of beef.
- Use two forks to shred the beef and set aside. Pour the vegetables and broth through a mesh sieve into a medium-sized bowl or other heat-safe container. This is the au jus.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. or turn on broiler. Place sliced hoagies onto a sheet pan and top the bottom pieces of bread with equal amounts of shredded beef. Place two pieces of cheese over the shredded beef (2 pieces of each hoagie). Place the sandwiches in the oven or broiler until the cheese has melted (about 3-5 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with a side of au jus.