Made with cabbage, carrots, crispy wonton strips, and an Asian inspired dressing this Asian Salad comes together in minutes. Perfect when you’re looking for a light and flavorful side dish.
If you’ve followed our site for very long, you may know that we move around a lot. And, that has its positives and negatives. One of those positives and negatives is food. We fall in love with the food in one area of the country only to move and leave it behind.
Several of our Asian inspired recipes are recreations of our favorite foods from our travels. From Homemade Egg Rolls to our Egg Roll in a Bowl and Ramen Noodle Salad to Vegetable Fried Rice. These dishes keep those take out cravings at bay.
This Asian Salad with Asian Dressing is no different. It only takes about 15 minutes to prepare and pairs well with shrimp, chicken, beef, or pork. It’s perfect for those times when take out isn’t an option.
How to Make an Asian Salad
- Start by making the Asian inspired salad dressing. Add the olive oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, ginger, salt and pepper to jar or container with a sealable lid.
- Shake vigorously to combine. Then, set aside.
- Place the coleslaw mix, carrots, celery, wonton strips, green onions, and almonds to a large bowl, and toss to combine.
- Pour on as much or as little of the salad dressing as you’d like. Afterwards, give the salad one more good stir.
- Serve immediately!
Crunchy Asian Salad Tips and Variations
- Julienne a whole carrot instead of purchasing matchstick carrots.
- Use this salad as the base of an egg roll filling by omitting the almonds and wonton strips. Add your favorite egg roll ingredients and enjoy!
- Add some edamame, chow mein noodles, Mandarin orange slices, toasted sesame seeds, or snap peas for variation.
- Use your favorite homemade ginger soy dressing or store bought Asian dressing.
- Adjust or omit any of the ingredients in this recipe to fit your personal tastes.
Refrigerator: Store this Asian salad (without the dressing) in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Store the dressing at room temperature in a sealed container for up to 1 week. Add the salad dressing just before serving.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste (*See note)
- 16 ounces coleslaw mix, dressing packet discarded
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup celery, thinly chopped
- 1 cup wonton strips
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Place the olive oil, vinegar, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, ground ginger, salt and pepper into a jar or sealable container with a lid. Shake to combine. Then, set aside.
- Combine the coleslaw mix, carrots, celery, wonton strips, green onions, and almonds in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the mixture, and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately. See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 2 cups of salad. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
*We generally use about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in the dressing. Adjust to your tastes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 466mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.