Our copycat classic diner chef salad is a throwback to that perfect entree you just can’t seem to find anymore. It’s loaded with cheese, ham, and bacon!
You can get a salad just about anywhere so why put it on a blog? Well, while it’s true that most salads are a “dime a dozen,” but a great salad is hard to find. Take the classic diner salad as an example. What was once a mainstay in the American restaurant industry has now faded away. Even with the diner revival of the 2000’s it’s still a challenge to find a chef salad that qualifies as a meal.
That’s why we had to share our copycat classic diner chef salad. It’s exactly like the salads I grew up eating at our local diner. We prepared it just like they used with iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, and many other toppings. I know it may seem a little retro compared to modern offerings that feature two or three ingredients and come topped with a vinegarette I can hardly pronounce.
Don’t get me wrong; we enjoy fine dining just as much as anyone else. If you don’t believe me, then check out our French-inspired steak dinner for two. It’s a gorgeous meal with multiple courses. But let’s face it, sometimes you want a hearty salad that eats like a meal. This chef salad is exactly what I am looking for when I want some protein with my greens.
Now, at this point, you’re probably wondering what’s on this behemoth of a dish. How about we take it from the top? We used a ranch dressing for this chef salad, but it’s not the same one we’ve already shared. This dressing recipe will only be available in our upcoming cook book. I will give you more details on that at a later time.
I wish I could tell you everything that was layered into this chef salad, but I would run out of room on the page before I could share vegetable. So, I’ll just stick to what makes this dish so delicious. In addition to a new dressing, we used diced ham and cheese. The cubes of cured pork and shredded cheddar cheese pair perfectly, adding a savory element to every bite.
Additionally, the crunchy bacon gives the chef salad a salty flavor that everyone loves. Using two kinds of onion gives the offering a little kick of spice. I could go on and on about every ingredient and how they compliment and contrast each other, but what would be the fun in that? I suggest you give this salad a try and see for yourself. Go ahead and use your favorite dressing or try one of ours. In closing, I wish everyone a long life, everlasting love, and belly full of crunchy salad!
Copycat Classic Diner Chef Salad
- 1/2 Head Iceberg Lettuce (clean and sliced/shredded)
- 1 Ounce Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 1 Medium Red Tomato (cut into wedges)
- 1/2 Small Spanish or White Onion (sliced into rings)
- 1/2 Cup Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 Medium Carrot (sliced)
- 1/2 Medium Cucumber (sliced)
- 1/2 Large Hard Boiled Egg (halved)
- 2 Slices Smoked Bacon (cooked and diced)
- 1 Tablespoon Diced Green Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Diced Ham
- First, cook the bacon over medium heat in a skillet. Then, dice it into pieces and set it aside. Hard boil an egg, peel it, halve it, and set it aside.
- Next, wash and prep all of the vegetables including the lettuce, tomato, onions, mushrooms, carrot, and cucumber.
- Afterward, shred the cheese and dice the ham and set them aside in separate bowls.
- Last, build your salad starting with lettuce and finishing with the cheese. Toss everything together and then top the dish with your favorite salad dressing.