Craving a veggie dish that's still packed with protein? Our mushroom lasagna is loaded with veggies and has a low-fat, high-protein cottage cheese filling!
This post is sponsored by Hiland Dairy but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
A quick look at the recipes on our site will confirm that nobody in our household is a vegetarian. However, that doesn't mean we don't appreciate a tasty vegetable dish.
In fact, we love our veggies just as much as our meats. The only problem is that sometimes it's hard to find high-protein, meatless dishes.
That's why we decided to share our mushroom lasagna. As the name implies, it's a vegetable lasagna at heart.
But, thanks to Hiland Dairy Low-Fat Cottage Cheese, we can still enjoy all those delicious vegetables without missing out on a healthy dose of protein.
Now, ordinarily, I would go ahead and start to explain how to make the vegetable lasagna and give a few tips. Since this is sponsored post, I'm going to do things a little differently.
For starters, lets talk a Hiland Dairy. We've been using their products for years. From cottage cheese to sour cream, they've always been a household favorite.
When it comes to dairy, I won't buy off-brand.
Protein to Fat Ratio
For our mushroom lasagna, we decided to use their low-fat cottage cheese. Mainly, because I feel the fat to protein ratio is pretty good.
When people talk about choosing a good source of protein, that's what they mean. High levels protein combined with lower levels of fat.
For example, when it comes to meats, chicken is one of the best sources of, "good protein," because it's a high protein, low-fat food.
As someone who has a medical condition, eating healthy is really important. So, I do my best to eat foods that fall into the, "good sources of.." category.
In my opinion, Hiland Dairy cottage cheese falls into one of those categories and that's why I eat it. In fact, one of my favorite snacks is cottage cheese.
It's savory, filling, and versatile.
Using Cottage Cheese
What I mean by versatile is that it can be used in a number of ways. Take for example, our mushroom lasagna.
In the photo above, it's being combined with eggs and cheese to create a delicious filling. Of course, you don't have to use it that way.
You can put cottage cheese over fresh fruit for a sweet and savory, health conscious snack. Or, you can add honey to it and use it as crepe filling.
The point is, when working with an ingredient like low-fat cottage cheese, you're only limited by your own imagination. Again, look at the picture above.
Who would've thought combining cottage cheese with eggs, low-fat mozzarella, and some spices could create such a mouthwatering combination? If you doubt my word, then make it for yourself.
I promise you'll be a believer after just one bite!
Working with Cottage Cheese
There are a few things to keep in mind when working with cottage cheese. Above all else, it's a savory ingredient.
What I always recommend first is to decide whether to want to enhance or compliment that flavor.
When it came to our mushroom lasagna, I wanted to compliment the creamy, salty tones of the cheese. Combining it with a fruit seemed like an obvious choice.
Now, you might be thinking, "Why lasagna? Why not peaches or something like that?" The answer is because I wanted to create an entrée not a dessert.
What better choice than a tomato based pasta dish?
The tomato sauce we use is subtly sweet and fruity. Combine that with cottage cheese and you have an amazing flavor profile that satisfies all your taste buds.
To keep the vegetable lasagna a, "health conscious," dinner idea, we used low fat, low sugar ingredients. Additionally, Kim and I chose gluten-free noodles and fresh mushrooms, onions, and spinach.
Well, I hope you found this sponsored post informative. Furthermore, I encourage you to click here to check out Hiland Dairy's website. You'll find a ton of helpful resources.
Not only will you find product information, but also online coupons and recipes. There are way too many good things on the site for me to list here.
Best of all, you can enter into a giveaway for all kinds prizes like a blender, mixing bowls, and other stuff too!
In closing, I want you to take a look at the photo above. Our son, a teenager, sitting down to enjoy a mushroom lasagna loaded with vegetables.
It's tasty enough that he chose that over junk food.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 24 ounces Hiland Dairy Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 36 ounces marinara sauce, homemade or store bought
- 9 ounces lasagna noodles, gluten-free, oven ready
- ½ cup white onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved or shredded
- First, preheat your oven to 350°F and spray 13x9 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Next, in a small bowl, quickly crack open and whip your eggs with a fork or whisk. Then, in a large bowl, combine the minced garlic, mozzarella, cottage cheese, and eggs. I added salt and pepper to taste into the filling.2 large eggs24 ounces Hiland Dairy Low-Fat Cottage Cheese2 cups mozzarella cheese2 garlic cloves
- After that, use ¾-1 cup of pasta sauce use to coat the bottom of the casserole dish and then place your first layer of lasagna noodles. Then put a layer of the cheese mixture (¾-1 cup) over the noodles.36 ounces marinara sauce9 ounces lasagna noodles
- Now, sprinkle a handful of spinach, mushrooms, and onions over the cheese mixture. Top the vegetables with more pasta sauce and add another layer of noodles.8 ounces fresh mushrooms5 ounces fresh spinach½ cup white onion
- Repeat the building process until the casserole dish is almost full. Any remaining filling can be added to the casserole dish along the sides. Use it to fill in any open spaces. This will help keep the lasagna from falling apart.
- To finish up, add one final scoop of sauce and evenly spread it over the noodles and sprinkle it with the Parmesan cheese.1 ounce Parmesan cheese
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and place the pan into the oven to bake for 50-60 minutes or until the noodles are soft. Once it's done, garnish and serve!