In less than 45-minutes, you can create a cheesy, comforting chicken broccoli rice casserole dinner using only one pot!
The weekend is finally here and for most people that means relaxing.
The last thing you want to do is spend all day in the kitchen trying to prepare a meal.
For days like today, you want something quick and easy. However, that doesn't mean you have to skip on flavor just to save time.
Our one pot chicken broccoli rice casserole can be prepared in less than hour.
Much like our chili relleno casserole, the main ingredients are chicken and cheese! It's a winning combination.
The best part of the recipe is that it can be made in one pan.
Which means you won't spend hours trying to clean your kitchen. So, shall we get cooking?
How to make chicken broccoli rice casserole:
First, go ahead and cut your chicken into 1-inch chunks. After that, finish prepping the rest of the ingredients.
Next, heat the oil over low-medium heat, using a large saucepan. Once it's warm, add the chicken, onions, salt, and pepper.
Let the meat and onions cook for about 5 minutes. Now, toss in the garlic and let the mixture cook for another 30 seconds.
Afterward, pour in the canned soup, rice, and 2.5 cups of chicken broth. Increase the heat to medium.
Stir the ingredients and bring the liquids to a boil. When broth starts to boil, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let the rice simmer.
Everything will need to cook for about 15-minutes. Also, you'll need to stir the mixture from time to time.
If the rice starts to soak up too much of the liquid, add more broth a ¼-cup at a time.
Now, when both the chicken and the rice have finished cooking, uncover the dish.
Toss in the broccoli florets and half of the cheese. Stir the ingredients to combine everything.
Last, sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the dish and cover the pan again.
The residual heat will steam the broccoli and melt the cheese. After about 5-minutes, remove the lid and serve!
That's it, your chicken rice and broccoli recipe is done. Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
- To cut down on the cook time, you could use minute rice and pre-cooked chicken. Then, the chicken would only need to, "cook," until the onions were soft. Additionally, the rice step would only need to cook for about 2-minutes instead of 15-minutes.
- Our chicken broccoli rice casserole has al dente' broccoli. For softer vegetables, use thawed, frozen broccoli.
- If you want to remove some of the sodium in the dish, use low-sodium broth and low-sodium canned soup. You could also skip the cheese.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed into bite size pieces
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ½ cream of chicken soup, 1 can
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 3 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pan, heat the oil over low to medium heat. Then add the onion, chicken, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until the onions are translucent and the chicken is browned. The chicken doesn’t need to be cooked through. Add the garlic and continue to cook for another 30 seconds.2 tablespoons cooking oil1 cup white onion1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts¼ teaspoon kosher salt¼ teaspoon ground black pepper3 garlic cloves
- Add the cream of chicken soup, rice, and 2 ½ cups of chicken broth. More broth can be added later if needed to add moisture to the dish. Stir, and bring the ingredients to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cover. Allow the ingredients to cook for 15 minutes while stirring occasionally or until the rice is cooked through and the chicken is done.10 ½ cream of chicken soup1 cup long grain white rice
- Remove from heat, uncover and add the broccoli and half the cheese. Stir to combine. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top cover for an additional 5 minutes.2 cups broccoli florets1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Serve hot and store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.