*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
In less than an hour you can create a cheesy, comforting chicken broccoli rice casserole using only one pot. It’s a tasty dinner everyone will enjoy!
The weekend is finally here and for most people that means relaxing. The last thing you want to do is spend all day in the kitchen trying to prepare a meal For days like today, you want something quick and easy.
However, that doesn’t mean you have to skip on flavor and variety, just for the sake of time. Our one pot chicken broccoli rice casserole can be put together in less than hour. Best of all, the main ingredient isn’t condensed soup, it’s actually real ingredients.
Much like our Chile relleno casserole, you can make this chicken broccoli rice casserole using real food, without all those additives.
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Instructions:
First, go ahead and cut your chicken into one (1) inch chunks. Cutting them into similar sizes will help them cook evenly. Then, sprinkle the chicken with thyme, one (1) teaspoon of garlic powder, and some salt and pepper. After that, finish prepping the rest of the ingredients.
Next, melt your butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted, toss in the onions and garlic and let them cook for one (1) to two (2) minutes. Afterward, add the chicken and let it cook until you no longer see any pink meat.
At this point, you can dust the chicken with your flour. Give it a good stir to make sure everything is properly coated. The flour will act as a thickening agent and make the dish creamy. Let the chicken cook for another one (1) to (2) two minutes.
Then, pour in the milk and stir everything while the dairy begins to heat. Once the milk has begun to steam, add the chicken broth, rice, and the remaining seasonings. Make sure to keep stirring so nothing sticks.
Stay with me, we’re almost done with the chicken broccoli rice casserole. Let the ingredients come to a simmer (low boil), reduce the heat to low, and cover the dish. The chicken casserole will need to cook for ten (10) to twelve (12) minutes or until the rice is soft.
When the time is up, uncover the pan and toss in the broccoli. Put the cover back on and let the casserole cook for an additional two (2) to four (4) minutes. You can preheat your broiler or your oven to 450 degrees F.
Now that your broccoli has cooked, take off the lid, and stir in half of the cheese. Then, top the chicken broccoli rice casserole with the rest of the cheese. Last, place the dish into your oven just long enough to melt the cheese on top.
That’s it, you’re all done with your one pot chicken broccoli rice casserole. Kim and I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we did. “See you,” tomorrow!
Chicken Casserole Tips:
To cut down on the cook time, you could use minute rice and reduce that step from twelve minutes (12) down to two (2) minutes.
Our chicken broccoli rice casserole has al dente’ broccoli. For softer vegetables, increase the cook time by three (3) to four (4) minutes.
If you want to remove some of the fat in the dish, you can substitute the milk and butter for canned condensed soup (chicken or mushroom). With that being said, we’ve not tried this, so I cannot confirm it will work.
Looking for more chicken recipes? Then take a look at these dishes!
If you enjoyed our one pot chicken broccoli rice casserole, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram by searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup White Onion (chopped)
- 3 Large Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 Lb. Chicken Breast (1-inch cubes)
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme (dried)
- 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour (rounded tablespoons)
- 2 Cups Milk (we use whole)
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth (or chicken stock)
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder (halved and separated)
- 1 Cup White Rice (long grain)
- 12 Ounces Broccoli (florets, diced)
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese (shredded, halved and separated)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Before you begin preparing the ingredients, cut the chicken into pieces (as directed above) and sprinkle it 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over low-medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the chicken. Cook the chicken until it’s no longer pink.
- Dust the chicken with the flour and stir to coat. Cook on low-medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the milk, and stir well to mix in all the flour. Allow the milk to begin to steam but not boil. Add the broth, rice, remaining 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 12 minutes. (Make sure to cook on a low temperature to avoid burning and undercooking the rice.)
- Remove the lid, and evenly layer the broccoli over top. Cover again and cook an additional 2-4 minutes (less time will result in a crunchier broccoli while longer will be softer broccoli). Preheat the broiler.
- Remove the lid and stir in half the cheese. Top the dish with the remaining cheese. Place the chicken broccoli and rice into the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.