Our loaded baked potato soup recipe is warm, hearty, and satisfying. All the goodness of a loaded baked potato in a creamy soup.
Continuing with our Fall soup line-up, we're sharing an updated version of our loaded baked potato soup.
The recipe didn't need any adjustments. However, the post was missing process photos and detailed instructions.
Similar to our stove-top taco soup, this recipe doesn't take long to prepare. Best of all it's simple and delicious.
So, if you're like me and loved loaded baked potatoes, then you're probably going to adore this soup.
Tender potatoes combined with a creamy broth full of flavors. We even used sour cream and cheese in the broth.
So, shall we get cooking?
How to make our baked potato soup recipe:
First, start with your prep work. Wash, peel, and dice the potatoes, shred the cheese, etc.
Also, grab a skillet and fry the bacon until it's crispy. Once it's done, chop it into little pieces.
Next, grab a large saucepan or medium stock pot and melt the butter over medium-low heat.
Sprinkle in the flour and whisk the ingredients. At this point, you're making a blonde roux to thicken the soup.
Now, once the flour has cooked for a few minutes, add in the broth and milk. Stir or whisk the ingredients together.
Carefully, add the chopped potatoes. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce the heat to low.
Then, let the potatoes simmer for 15 minutes or until they're fork tender.
Keep an eye on the soup and add more liquid if needed. The liquid line does not need to drop below the potatoes.
Afterward, once the potatoes have cooked, turn off the heat. Stir in the heavy cream, sour cream, and cheese.
Do a taste test and add salt and pepper to taste. Last, all that's left to do is serve the soup with bacon on top.
That's it, your baked potato soup recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
Baked Potato Soup Tips:
- Make sure to cut the potatoes into similar sized pieces. Otherwise, they won't cook evenly and you'll have mushy and undercooked potatoes in the same soup.
- If you're using pre-shredded cheddar, be aware that it might be coated with an anti-coagulant. That powder might effect how it melts, giving your soup a grainier texture.
- Avoid letting the broth come to a full rolling boil. Remember, you're only simmering the potatoes until they're fork tender, not trying to make mashed potatoes.
- The bacon can be stirred into the soup at the end, or used as garnish along with sliced green onions or chives, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- For a creamy loaded potato soup, use an immersion blender to liquefy the ingredients. Or, you can let the soup cool and use a counter-top blender.
Other soup recipes you may love:
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 4 to 6 slices bacon, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups russet potatoes, peeled and cubed into ½ inch pieces; about 3 medium potatoes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, (plus more for topping)
- ½ cup sour cream
- Green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook bacon and chop into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.4 to 6 slices bacon
- Melt butter in large stockpot over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until combined. The mixture will turn light brown. Continue to whisk for 2-3 minutes.4 tablespoons unsalted butter¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Slowly add the milk and chicken broth to the flour mixture. Whisk until well combined.1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth2 cups milk
- Add the potatoes and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook until fork tender (about 15 minutes).2 cups russet potatoes
- Take off the heat and slowly stir in the heavy cream, sour cream, cheese, salt and pepper.½ cup heavy cream1 cup sharp cheddar cheese½ cup sour cream
- If you want a creamier soup, use an immersion blender to blend to the desired consistency. If the soup is too thick, additional milk can be added to thin soup out. (This step is optional.)
- Top with bacon, green onions and additional cheese.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!