*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
A simple tomato basil soup made with tomatoes, milk, and a blend of savory spices to create a rich and creamy dish that’s perfect for the cold temperatures.
Soup is one of my favorite Winter meals. Nothings beats the cold like a bowl of warm, hearty soup.
Tomato soup, while not hearty, is still a Winter time classic. For today’s post, we’re updating an older version of the dish.
We’ve taken the old recipe and changed it slightly to create our tomato basil soup. So, shall we get started?
How to make tomato basil soup?
First, in a large saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and dried basil.
Next, cover the pan and cook the ingredients over medium-high heat for about twenty (20) to twenty-five (25) minutes.
Then, remove the tomato basil soup from the heat and take off the lid. Now, let it cool for at about ten (10) minutes.
Last, serve the soup with your favorite toppings. Any leftovers can be stored in your fridge, in a sealed container, for up to three (3) days.
That’s it, your creamy tomato basil soup is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the recipe and wish you all the best 🙂
Tips for your Tomato Soup:
- Be sure to let the canned tomatoes cook for at least 20 minutes to cook out the “canned flavor.”
- Also, to avoid burns, make sure the soup is slightly cooled before transferring it to a blender or food processor.
- Fresh ingredients, like diced Roma tomatoes or fresh garlic and onions, can be added to the soup for extra flavor.
- Feel free to use an emulsion blender instead of a counter-top blender or food processor to liquefy the soup.
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 8 Ounces Tomato Sauce
- 28 Ounces Crushed Tomatoes
- 8 Ounces Milk, (we used whole)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper, (or to taste)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, (or to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder, (or to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder, (or to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Basil, (or to taste)
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, and all the spices.
- Next, cover and cook the ingredients over medium-high heat for 20 minutes.
- Then, remove the soup from the heat and take off the lid. Let, it cool for at least 10 minutes.
- After it cools, add the milk and transfer the mixture into a blender or food processor to pulse until it reaches your desired thickness.
- Last, serve the soup. Store leftovers in your fridge in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a serving size of about half (1/2) a cup of the tomato basil soup. Additionally, the calorie count does NOT include the grilled cheese sandwich seen in the photos. Actual calories may vary.
**If you have an emulsion blender, you can use that instead of transferring the soup to a blender or food processor to pulsing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 4 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 64Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 584mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g