*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Our Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup features tender chicken with Tex-Mex spices and veggies simmered in a flavorful broth. Best of all, it’s dump and go!
Soup season is still in full effect and have we got a soup for you! Now that I think about it we have quite a few soups on our blog.
In fact, we even have a tasty pressure cooker broccoli cheese soup that’s perfect for cold weather.
For today’s post, we’re adding to that list with Kim’s Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup recipe.
The name says it all, savory homemade chicken soup made in your Instant Pot. So, shall we get started?
How to make chicken tortilla soup in the Instant Pot?
First, start by prepping your ingredients. Dice the onions, mince the garlic, open the canned veggies. You get the idea.
Next, place the stainless steel liner into the Instant Pot. After that, add the chicken broth, onions, garlic, lime juice, ground chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Then, stir the ingredients to combine everything.
Now, toss in the chicken breasts, undrained canned tomatoes and green chiles, black beans, and corn.
It’s important that you do NOT stir the mixture once you’ve added these ingredients. Otherwise, the chicken tortilla soup may burn.
Afterward, place the lid on the cooker and seal the valve. Set the machine to manual or high pressure cook for eight (8) minutes. When the timer goes off, allow for a ten (10) minute natural release before carefully opening the valve (with a towel) to release the pressure.
Last, remove the chicken from the soup, dice or shred it, then return it to the pot. Give the ingredients a quick stir and serve the soup while it’s warm.
That’s it, your chicken tortilla soup is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the recipe and wish you all the best 🙂
Soup Topping Ideas:
- Avocado Slices
- Sour Cream
- Purple Onion
- Shredded Cheese
- Green Onions
- Tortilla Strips
If you like our Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth, (low sodium)
- 1 Cup Onion, (diced, about medium sized onion)
- 3 Teaspoons Garlic, (minced, about three (3) cloves)
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder, (or to taste)
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin, (or to taste)
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Paprika, (or to taste)
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano, (or to taste)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, (or to taste)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper, (or to taste)
- 1 Lb. Chicken Breast, (boneless, skinless)
- 10.5 Ounces Tomatoes and Green Chiles (1 can of Rotel undrained)
- 14.5 Ounces Black Beans, (one ((1)) can, drained)
- 2 Cups Frozen Corn
- First, add the chicken broth, onions, garlic, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper to the stainless steel liner of the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Next, add the chicken breasts, diced tomatoes and green chiles, black beans, and corn. DO NOT STIR at this point.
- Close the lid, set the valve to “sealing,” and press the manual (pressure cook) button. Adjust the time to 8 minutes. After the time is up, allow a 10 minute natural release before opening the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Then, remove the chicken breasts and use two forks to shred the meat. Return the meat to the pot, and stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Last, serve hot with your favorite toppings.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a serving size of about one (1) cup of the Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup. Additionally, it does NOT include the fried tortilla strips seen in the photos as a topping. Actual calories will vary. The tortilla soup can be stored in a sealed container, in your fridge, for up to three (3) days.
*If the chicken breasts are extremely thick, the time may need to be adjusted and more time added. If the chicken breasts are thin, the time may be able to be reduced by a few minutes.
*We have not tested this recipe with other forms of chicken.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 928mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 8gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g