*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Fast and easy, warm and cheesy in less than 30 minutes! Our Instant Pot broccoli cheese soup recipe has all the flavor of homemade soup in half the time.
The holidays are a busy time and you need quick recipes to feed a crowd. Well, today we’re sharing a recipe that satisfies both needs.
Today’s offering is Kim’s Instant Pot broccoli cheese soup. It’s the best of both worlds, homemade and done in twenty (25) minutes.
The recipe card is listed below. For extra tips, scroll down to the bottom of the post. Now, let’s get started!
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup White Onion (diced)
- 3 Teaspoons Garlic (3-4 fresh cloves, minced or pressed)
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 4 Cups Broccoli Florets
- 1 Cup Carrots (shredded or matchstick)
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 3 Cups Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/4 Cup Water (cold)
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- Turn on the Instant Pot using the “saute” function. Wait for the stainless steel liner to get hot, then add the butter, onions, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the onions begin to soften, then add the garlic. Cook for an additional 30 seconds, then turn off the saute function by pressing the “cancel” button.
- Add broccoli, carrots, and chicken broth. Close the lid and ensure the valve is set to “sealing.” Press the manual (pressure cook) button, and adjust the time to 4 minutes. While the soup cooks, combine the water and corn starch to form a slurry and set aside.
- After the time is up, open the valve for a quick release of pressure. Turn on the saute function again.
- Add the heavy cream, and cheese a little bit at a time, whisking in between to ensure it melts without sticking to the bottom. After all the cheese is added, slowly pour in the slurry, and continue to whisk until the desired thickness is reached. Press “cancel” on the Instant Pot, and serve hot.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Equipment Needed for recipe:
How to make Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup?
- First, start by prepping all your vegetables. For example, mince the garlic, dice the onions, you get the idea.
- Next, place the liner into the cooker and press the saute button. Let the liner get warm, then toss in the butter, onions, and a dash of salt and pepper.
- After that, let the diced onions cook for a few minutes until they start to soften. Then, add the garlic and let everything saute for thirty (30) seconds.
- Now, turn off the Instant Pot and add the broccoli florets, shredded carrots, and chicken broth. Place the lid on the cooker and close the valve.
- Press the manual or high pressure cook button and set the timer for four (4) minutes.
- After that, whisk together the cold water and cornstarch to create the slurry while the soup cooks.
- When the timer goes off, carefully, open the valve to release the pressure. I would use a thick kitchen towel for this step.
- Turn the Instant Pot on using the saute function and slowly whisk in the heavy cream and cheese. Don’t add all the cheese at once; do it in small handfuls.
- Finally, stir in the cornstarch slurry and let broccoli cheese soup cook until it reaches a thickness you enjoy.
That’s it, your Instant Pot broccoli cheese soup is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy today’s recipe and wish you all the best this holiday season 🙂
- To reduce the calories in this recipe, consider using half and half in place of the heavy cream. Also, you could use a low-fat cheese in place of the cheddar.
- You can reduce the overall kitchen time by purchasing as many prepped vegetables as possible. For example, some produce departments sell broccoli florets or match stick carrots in bags.
- Pressure cooker recipes like this one are great for the holidays. Your oven and stove top are already working overtime, so give them a break. Using kitchen appliances to your advantage will always reduce the time and stress in your kitchen.
Looking for more pressure cooker soup recipes?
- Wild Rice and Mushroom Instant Pot Soup
- Instant Pot Cream of Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup