Our Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup is creamy, cheesy, and a great way to add veggies to your day. Top with some extra cheese and more broccoli for a full meal.
Soup is a pretty big deal at my house. Both my husband and my son love just about any soup, which is good for me.
So, when I do make a soup for a second, third, or forth time, I go for simple and delicious! Our easy broccoli cheese soup has me covered.
How to Make Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup:
Start by gathering all your ingredients. As you will see from the picture, it doesn’t much to whip up this easy broccoli cheese soup.
The hardest part is waiting for the water to boil. So, let’s get started.
First, bring a medium pot of salted water to boil, and carefully add the broccoli. Next, cook it for 2 to 3 minutes until it begins to soften and becomes vibrant green.
Now, combine the butter, onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a separate large stockpot, and melt the butter over medium heat. Then, strain the water, and set the broccoli aside.
Afterward, use a wooden spoon to stir the ingredients and cook until the onions soften, then add the garlic. Cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Last, add the flour and whisk well to combine and let everything cook for 2 to 3 minutes to cook out any raw flour flavor. The roux is done.
First, slowly add the milk and broth to the roux, whisk the ingredients to ensure any flour lumps are broken down. Next, allow the mixture to heat and begin to steam, don’t let come to a boil or it will break.
Then, slowly add the cheese, about an ounce at a time, whisking in between each ounce. Make sure all the cheese melts before adding any additional.
After adding all the cheese, carefully stir in the blanched broccoli florets, reserving 1/2 cup.
Last, use a hand blender to blend the soup while it’s still hot or let it cool and pour it into a blender or food processor to pulse until it’s smooth and creamy.
Tips for Your Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup:
- The soup can be frozen and thawed over low heat in a stockpot.
- Cornstarch can be used as a thickener if the soup is too thin.
- Remember, the longer the broccoli blanches, the softer it will become.
Other homemade soup recipes you may love:
- Stove Top Taco Soup
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Making Soup with Asparagus Ends
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 of a medium onion, (about 1/2 a cup, chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, (2 ounces reserved plus additional for topping)
- Blanch broccoli florets in a pot of salted water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until soft and bright green.
- Strain and set aside.
- Add the butter, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and onion to a large stockpot. Heat over medium heat until the butter melts and the onion is soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Next, whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk and broth and heat whisk to break up any flour lumps.
- Continue to heat until the mixture steams and bubbles form around the edge of the pan.
- Add the cheese an ounce at a time, whisking in between each ounce. Ensure all the cheese melts before adding more.
- Carefully stir in the 1 1/2 cups of the blanched broccoli.
- Use a hand blender to blend the soup and break up the broccoli pieces. (See post for additional blending option.)
- Add remaining broccoli and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Top with your favorite toppings and serve.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a serving size of one cup without toppings. Actual calories may vary.
Make it gluten free by using GF spices, flour, and broth.
Make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 16gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 524mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g