Have you ever wanted to make baked beans in a pressure cooker? Now you can with our Instant Pot baked beans recipe. Perfect baked beans every time!
Here we go, adding another great Summer BBQ side dish. For today, we’re sharing Kim’s Instant Pot baked beans recipe.
Tender, sweet and savory baked beans flavored with a homemade BBQ sauce and bacon. This is a side dish you don’t want to miss.
Now, if you want to use canned beans or a store-bought BBQ sauce, you can. I’ve included the substitution instructions in the tips section below.
Which beans are used in baked beans?
Okay, most of us are home cooks, right? So, I say use whatever beans you like. Personally, I’ve always used pinto beans.
They’re available in most stores throughout the U.S., they’re affordable, and they always cook up perfectly every time.
With that being said, if you prefer Navy beans (which are used in most canned varieties) the use them instead.
The point is, authentic or traditional is relative. What may be authentic to you, might be different to someone else. So, use whatever you want and enjoy the meal.
How to make baked beans in Instant Pot?
First, grab 1-lb. of uncooked pinto (or Navy) beans. Sort through them to remove any debris or rocks.
After that, place the beans into the stainless steel liner of your pressure cooker. Pour 8-cups (not 9) of water into the liner with the beans.
Next, close the lid, lock it into place, and seal the valve. Press the high pressure/manual cook button and set the timer for 25-minutes.
While the beans cook, go ahead and cook 1-lb. of bacon. You can prepare it however you want; stove-top, oven baked bacon, or microwave. Dice the bacon once it’s cooked and cooled.
When the timer on your pressure cooker goes off, allow for a 20-25 minute natural release.
Now, carefully open the valve to release the leftover pressure and remove the lid.
Transfer the beans to a colander and rinse them with cool tap water. Set the beans aside for later.
Then, clean and rinse the liner because it’s time to saute some vegetables. Dry it off and place the liner back into the cooker.
Turn on the machine using the saute function and let it warm up. At this point add the following ingredients: oil, diced onions, and diced bell peppers.
Let them saute for about 4-minutes or until they’re soft. Turn off the machine.
Add the remaining cup of water, brown sugar, ketchup, molasses, apple cider vinegar, ground mustard, and cooked beans. Stir the ingredients.
Afterward, place the lid on the Instant Pot, seal the valve, and press the manual/high pressure button.
Set the timer for 10-minutes and once it goes off allow for a 10-minute natural release. Carefully, open the seal to release the remaining pressure.
Last, remove the lid and stir in the cooked bacon. That’s it, your Instant Pot baked beans recipe is done!
Kim and I hope you enjoy this Summer grilling side dish and we wish you all the best 🙂
- If you decide to use store-bought BBQ sauce, then you’ll need to omit (leave out) the following ingredients: brown sugar, ketchup, molasses, apple cider vinegar, and ground mustard. Instead use 8-ounces of BBQ sauce and continue on with step 4 as the instructions are written.
- Another great way to cut down on the cook time is to use canned beans. Simply open 16-ounces of beans, drain them, rinse them, and then drain them again. Pre-cook the bacon and start the recipe at step 4.
- The last tip is buy microwave bacon and use your microwave to cook it. All in all, if you use these tips then you’ll save almost an hour of time in the kitchen.
- 1 Lb. Pinto Beans, (or bean of your choice, uncooked)
- 9 Cups Water, (separated 8:1)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Lb. Bacon, (cooked, chopped or diced)
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil, (canola, corn, or vegetable)
- 1 Cup White Onion, (diced)
- 1 Cup Bell Pepper, (green, diced)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup
- 1/4 Cup Molasses
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Mustard
- Before cooking the pinto beans, look through them to ensure there are no small rocks or hard pieces. Then place the beans into the stainless steel liner of the Instant Pot. Add 8 cups of water and salt. Close the lid, set the valve to sealing, and press the manual (pressure cook button). Adjust the time to 25 minutes.
- While the beans cook, prepare the bacon. We like to bake ours in the oven by lining baking sheets with foil and place wire racks on the baking sheets. Lay several pieces of bacon on the wire rack and back until crispy on 375°. After the bacon cooks, chop it into ½ to 1-inch pieces. Alternatively, the bacon can be cooked in the Instant Pot after the beans finish cooking, on the stove top, or in an air fryer.
- After the time is up on the Instant Pot, allow the pressure to release naturally (about 20-25 minutes) before opening the valve. Pour the beans into a colander and rise with cool water. Set aside. Rinse out the stainless steel liner, too.
- Turn the Instant Pot on using the “saute” function, add the cooking oil, onion, and bell pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until the onion and pepper soften. Press “cancel” to turn off “saute” and add the remaining cup of water, brown sugar, ketchup, molasses, apple cider vinegar, ground mustard, and pinto beans. Stir to combine.
- Close the lid, set the valve to sealing, and press the manual (pressure cook button). Adjust the time to 10 minutes. After the time is up, allow a 10 minute natural release before opening the valve to release any remaining pressure. Stir in the chopped bacon.
- Serve hot and store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1/4-cup of Instant Pot baked beans. Actual calories will vary.
**For instructions on using canned beans and store-bought BBQ sauce, please refer to the tips section of the post. Doing so will save about 1-hour of cook time.**
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 0.25 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 306mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 8g