Try our easy meatloaf recipe with breadcrumbs, peppers, and onions. Nothing beats a homemade meatloaf loaded with spices and topped with ketchup.
Is there anything better than a homemade meatloaf? Tender, juicy ground beef, mixed with spices, and breadcrumbs.
It really doesn't get much better than that. For today's recipe we're sharing our easy meatloaf with breadcrumbs.
This is the meatloaf I grew up eating and it is delicious! So, shall we get started?
How to make a meatloaf with breadcrumbs:
First, start by dicing the onions and peppers.
Preheat your oven to 350° F. and line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
Next, crack the egg into a bowl and whisk it. Transfer the egg into a large mixing bowl.
After that, add the ground meat, onions, peppers, breadcrumbs, and meatloaf spices to the same bowl.
Then, using your hands, mix the everything together (expect the ketchup).
Afterward, place the raw meatloaf onto the sheet pan and shape it into a loaf.
At this point, place the loaf into the oven to bake for at least 50 to 60 minutes.
You might want to bake it longer if you want a well-done meatloaf. See my tips below.
Once the meatloaf with breadcrumbs has cooked, remove it from the oven and top it with ketchup.
Now, place the beef back into the oven to bake for another ten (10) minutes. Keep an eye on it, if the ketchup starts to burn, remove it immediately!
Last, after the ten (10) minutes have passed, remove the beef from the oven and let it rest for five (5) to ten (10) minutes before slicing and serving.
Easy Meatloaf Recipe Tips:
- Meatloaf seasoning packets may contain high amounts of sodium. You can make your own blend by using a mixture of seasoned salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, thyme, and ground mustard.
- Kim and I use ground sirloin in our easy meatloaf recipe. But, that's because I prefer a medium to medium-well cook time. Now, you can use whatever blend of ground beef you wish; however, please make sure you cook the meat until it reaches at least 160 degrees F. at its thickest spot.
- The peppers and onions in the recipe are optional, you don't have to put them into the dish.
That's it, the easy meatloaf recipe with breadcrumbs is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy this offering and wish you all the best 🙂
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 16 ounces ground beef, We used 90/10.
- 1 ½ ounces meatloaf seasoning, or your own blend
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup white onion, finely diced
- ½ cup ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the ketchup.1 large egg16 ounces ground beef½ cup Italian breadcrumbs1 ½ ounces meatloaf seasoning¼ cup green bell pepper¼ cup white onion
- Shape the mixture into a loaf form, and transfer it to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 160°F at the thickest part.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven, and brush the ketchup over the top half of the loaf. Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes then allow the meatloaf to rest for 10 minutes before serving.½ cup ketchup