*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Now you can make a rich creamy dessert in your pressure cooker. Our Instant Pot flan tastes just like the original and comes topped with caramel sauce!
Lately, Kim and I have been craving a decadent dessert. However, we wanted to try and make it in the Instant Pot.
Since we already have an IP white chocolate raspberry cheesecake recipe, I didn’t want to make another cheesecake.
Kim did a little research and discovered you can make flan in a pressure cooker. Well, we had to try that!
Special Equipment for Recipe:
How to make flan in the Instant Pot?
Since this is a longer recipe, we decided to separate it out into three (3) parts. That way, if you need detailed instructions, everything will be nice and neat.
First, you want to make the caramel sauce. So, grab a medium saucepan and add half (1/2) a cup of sugar to the pan.
Next, melt the sugar over low heat. It should take about eight (8) to ten (10) minutes. Make sure to stir it as the sugar melts. Otherwise, it will burn!
Then, once the sugar begins to caramelize and all the crystals have melted, add the water. But, be careful, this mixture is very, very hot!
Now, whisk the water and sugar together to create a sauce. Turn off the heat and carefully pour the sauce into a seven (7) inch baking dish.
Last, swirl the mixture around the baking dish a little to get it along the sides of the pan. Use the photo above as a reference.
Let your homemade caramel sauce cool for at least ten (10) minutes while you get the flan ready for the pressure cooker.
To begin, grab a large mixing bowl and whisk together three (3) cracked whole eggs with two (2) egg yolks (that’s a total of 5 eggs needed for the recipe).
Afterward, add the whole milk, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Go head and whisk these ingredients into the eggs.
At this point, the caramel sauce should have cooled. Pour the flan mixture into the baking dish (right on top of the sauce). See the photo above.
Then, cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. Place the stainless steel liner into the Instant Pot and add one (1) cup of water to it.
Now, you have two (2) options here. You can place the trivet into the machine and then place the baking dish on it.
Or you can place the baking dish onto the trivet and use the trivet handles to move everything into the pot.
Either way, the trivet and dish need to go into the stainless steel liner. Now, place the lid on the appliance and make sure the valve is sealed.
Using the high pressure/manual cook button, set the cook time for twelve (12) minutes.
When the timer goes off, allow for a ten (10) minute natural release before carefully opening the valve.
Remove the lid and take the baking dish out of the Instant Pot. Take off the foil and place the dish on cooling rack for at least one (1) hour.
When the hour has passed, cover the flan with foil again and put it into your fridge to chill and set for at least (6) hours.
After the flan has set, it’s time to get it out of the baking dish. Take the foil off the dessert and run a knife along the edge of the flan to loosen it.
Place a large plate or pie/tart pan on top of the dish. Carefully, flip the baking dish over, releasing the flan onto the pie pan.
The sauce that started on the bottom should be on top! That’s it, slice the flan into pieces and serve.
Kim and I hope you enjoy this recipe and wish you all the best 🙂
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes?
Instant Pot Flan Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Water
Instant Pot Flan
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a medium saucepan, heat the sugar over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, swirling occasionally, until the sugar begins to turn amber in color and caramelize. After all the sugar granules have melted and turned brown, very carefully pour in the water. It may splash and steam, so make sure no children or pets are nearby.
- Whisk the sugar until the water is incorporated and the mixture is liquid and pour-able. Immediately pour the sauce into the baking dish or pan and carefully swirl it around the bottom and sides. The liquid is extremely hot. Do this quickly because once it starts to cool, it hardens. Set the dish aside to cool for at least 10 minutes and make the flan.
Instant Pot Flan
- In a large bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks (you’ll need 5 in total, 3 whole plus 2 yolks). Then add the milk, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk to combine. After the baking dish with the caramel topping has cooled for several minutes, carefully pour the flan filling through a mesh sieve into the baking dish. Cover the dish with foil.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the stainless-steel insert of the Instant Pot. Place the baking dish onto a trivet with handles and carefully lower the trivet and the baking dish into the Instant Pot. Close the lid, set the valve to “sealing,” and press the manual (pressure cook) button. Adjust the time to 12 minutes (high pressure). After the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before opening the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and carefully remove the baking dish. Remove the foil and allow the baking dish to sit at room temperature for 1 hour. The center will be jiggle like gelatin, but should not be liquidy. If it’s liquidy, it needs to cook longer. Otherwise, it won’t set up. After 1 hour, cover with foil and transfer the flan to the refrigerator to set for at least 6 hours.
- After the flan sets, run a knife around the edge of the dish. Place a large plate or serving dish over the top of the dish and flip it over to release the flan. The caramel sauce will also be released in a liquid form. Slice into pieces and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.