Our Malibu Bay Breeze recipe features Malibu rum, pineapple juice, and cranberry juice and only takes about 5 minutes to make. This tropical cocktail is perfect for bringing island vibes and beach feels to any occasion.
Malibu and Juice
Cranberry juice and pineapple juice in the same tasty cocktail? Yes, please!
How to Make a Malibu Bay Breeze:
This cocktail is easy to make and has a beautiful layered effect. All you need are 3 ingredients with an optional 4th ingredient.
Scroll to the recipe card below for ingredient amounts and full instructions.
- Place a handful of ice into a tall glass.
- Pour in the coconut rum and pineapple juice, and stir to combine.
- Turn a spoon upside down and press it against the inside of the glass. Very slowly pour the cranberry juice over the back of the spoon.
- Add a spritz of lime juice, and add your favorite garnishes. Enjoy!
How to Layer a Bay Breeze:
To make this a layered cocktail, there are a couple of things that are a must to make sure the layers work properly.
It’s important to remember that the juice containing the most sugar sinks to the bottom of the glass while the juice with the least amount of sugar floats to the top.
- Purchase unsweetened cranberry juice, not a blend or juice cocktail. A juice blend or juice cocktail contains far more sugar than its unsweetened counterpart.
- Use Malibu rum or an equivalent coconut rum.
- Purchase sweetened pineapple juice. The combination of coconut rum and pineapple juice should be enough to sink that layer to the bottom of the glass while allowing the unsweetened cranberry juice to float to the top.
- Don’t stir the cocktail until you’re ready to drink it!
How to Store This Malibu Drink:
Refrigerator: This cocktail is best enjoyed immediately. If you have any leftovers, remove the ice and store it in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours.
Freezer: Remove the ice and pour any leftover bay breeze into ice cube trays to freeze into ice cubes. Use the ice cubes to chill future cocktails!
What happens if my cocktail doesn’t layer?
Don’t sweat it! Add your favorite garnishes, a straw, and drink up! It will still taste exactly like a layered drink.
What’s the difference between a Bay Breeze and a Sea Breeze?
A Bay Breeze is a tropical-style cocktail made with coconut rum, cranberry juice, and pineapple juice. A Sea Breeze is a classic mixed drink that combines vodka, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice, or lime juice.
Both drinks are refreshingly fruity but have different flavor profiles. The Bay Breeze has a slight sweetness from the pineapple while the Sea Breeze has more of an acidic tartness from the grapefruit or lime juice.
Can you make this drink for a crowd?
Yes, you can make this cocktail for a crowd. Just multiply the recipe ingredients and mix them in a large pitcher or punch bowl. Then serve over ice!
If you’d like a layered cocktail, omit the cranberry juice from the pitcher and add it to the individual glasses.
What can you use in place of coconut rum?
If you don’t have coconut rum, white rum works as a substitute. Alternatively, some people like spiced or dark rum in this drink. Vodka is another option, but it changes the drink slightly.
Can you make this cocktail in advance?
Yes, you can make this cocktail in advance. Simply mix the ingredients and store them in the refrigerator until ready to serve. You’ll want to use it within a couple of hours.
- 4 ounces coconut rum
- 4 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 ounces cranberry juice
- Spritz freshly squeezed lime juice, optional
- Lime wedge, cherries, and pineapple wedge, optional garnish
- Fill a highball glass with ice.
- Pour in the rum and pineapple juice. Stir to combine.4 ounces coconut rum4 ounces pineapple juice
- Turn a spoon upside down and press it against the inside of the glass. Very slowly pour the cranberry juice over the spoon then add a spritz of lime juice if using.2 ounces cranberry juiceSpritz freshly squeezed lime juice
- Add a straw and your favorite garnishes. Enjoy!
- Scroll up and see the post for storage options and FAQs.