*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Warm and comforting chorizo enchiladas smothered in gooey, melted cheese and spicy red sauce. The perfect go-to dish for your next Fiesta Friday dinner!
These chorizo enchiladas were so tasty that we couldn’t wait to share them with you. Not only are they smothered with gooey cheese, each one is loaded with spicy chorizo sausage.
The dish only takes about 45 minutes from start to finish. I can’t think of a better semi-homemade recipe to try for your next Fiesta Friday.
Best of all, the recipe can be modified for lower calories, organic, or gluten-free diets.
How to Make Chorizo Enchiladas:
First, start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees F. and spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Then, in a large skillet, crack open the sausage links and break the meat apart. To that, add your onions and let everything saute for about 10 minutes.
Next, start loading the cooked mixture into your flour tortillas along with the shredded cheese. Be sure to save a little of the cheese to sprinkle over the dish before baking.
Once the chorizo enchiladas are prepped, pour the sauce over them and sprinkle them with the remaining cheddar.
Last, bake the enchiladas for 15 to 20 minutes or until the red sauce is bubbling and all that cheese is melted and gooey.
You can garnish the dish with a sliced avocado or some cilantro and serve. The serving is two enchiladas each.
Tips for the Best Chorizo Enchiladas:
- You can use our homemade red sauce or canned a version for convenience.
- Pour half of the sauce on the bottom of the pan before you load the enchiladas in for baking.
- Warm your tortillas in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds to make them easy to work with.
- Add salt and pepper to taste when cooking the meat mixture.
- Corn tortillas
- Low-fat or Fat-free cheese
- Organic chorizo sausage
- Organic enchilada sauce
- Turkey or Chicken sausages
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 1 1/2 Lbs. Chorizo Sausage
- 1/2 Cup Spanish or White Onion, (diced)
- 1 10 ounce Can of Red Enchilada Sauce, (we used Old El Paso)
- 10 Ounces Yellow and/or White Cheddar, (shredded)
- 8 Whole Taco-Sized Flour Tortillas
- 1 Whole Avocado, (sliced as a garnish)
- First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. and spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Next, in a large skillet over medium heat, combine the sausage and onions. Saute the mixture for 10 minutes or until the meat is done.
- Then, load the cooked meat, onions, and most of the cheese into the tortillas. Use about 2 to 3 ounces of the onions and sausage and 1 ounce of cheese per enchilada.
- Now, pour half the sauce in the bottom of the pan and the rest over the enchiladas and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the dish.
- Last, bake the dish for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve while hot.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a serving size of two chorizo enchiladas per serving. Actual calories may vary. Feel free to add salt and pepper to taste when cooking the chorizo sausage. This dish can be prepared in advance and stored in your fridge for up to 48 hours before cooking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 Echiladas
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1074Total Fat: 88gSaturated Fat: 39gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 224mgSodium: 2557mgCarbohydrates: 7gSugar: 1gProtein: 59g