Christmas Trail Mix is your ultimate festive snack fix. It’s a colorful blend of chocolate covered pretzels, peanuts, chocolate chips, and candy that will add a touch of sweetness to all of your holiday celebrations. This easy, 5-minute recipe is perfect for gifting or indulging during the Christmas season.
I’m always on the lookout for fun, easy-to-make snacks during the winter holidays. Our Christmas Chex Mix and chocolate dipped pretzel rods are some of my favorites, but I also love the salty sweet flavor of my Christmas Trail Mix.
This snack mix is full of salty peanuts, white chocolate covered pretzels, sweet chocolate chips, festive M&Ms, and squishy mini marshmallows.
It’s also no-bake meaning all you need to do is measure the ingredients and stir them together.
It’s perfect for gift giving or taking on those long car rides to grandma’s house for Christmas dinner. Don’t forget to leave a little out for Santa, too!
Substitutions and Variations
- Peanuts Swap: Instead of peanuts, try using salted almonds, pistachios, or cashews. They are just as crunchy and taste great in this snack mix!
- White Chocolate Covered Pretzels: If you don’t have white chocolate pretzels, use regular pretzels and add some yogurt-covered raisins for a sweet touch. I love mini pretzels twists or Itty Bitty Minis in place of white chocolate pretzels!
- Chocolate Chips: Not a fan of chocolate chips? Try butterscotch or peanut butter chips instead. They add a whole new flavor!
- M&Ms: Swap out plain M&Ms for peanut M&Ms or any kind of colorful candy-coated chocolates. During the holidays there are lots of fun options!
- Mini Marshmallows: If you want something different than marshmallows, try chopped up bits of dried fruit like apricots or cranberries.
You only need a couple pieces of kitchen equipment to make this cute trail mix. Here’s what I use (Amazon affiliate links included):
- Mixing Bowl: You’ll need a large mixing bowl to combine all the ingredients.
- Spoon: A wooden spoon or large plastic spoon works well to stir to the ingredients.
- Measuring Cups: You’ll need measuring cups to portion out everything.
- Mini Mason Jars: If you want to store the trail mix in individual containers, I love these small glass jars. They hold around 1 cup of snack mix each.
Store leftover trail mix in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- Balanced Mix: Make sure you have a good balance of each ingredient – peanuts, white chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate chips, M&Ms, and mini marshmallows. This way, every bite has a little bit of each flavor.
- Freshness Counts: Use fresh ingredients. Stale nuts or chocolate can make your trail mix taste bland.
- Size Matters: Chop or break larger items like pretzels into smaller pieces. This makes the trail mix easier to eat.
- Colorful Fun: The M&Ms add a festive splash of color to your mix. There are a large variety of M&Ms available, so you can choose a different one for each holiday!
- Sweet and Salty: The mix of sweet (like chocolate chips and marshmallows) with salty (like peanuts and pretzels) is what makes trail mix delicious. Try to use a little bit of each.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup white chocolate covered pretzels
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate chips, any variety
- 1 cup M&Ms, any variety
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and stir to combine.1 cup peanuts1 cup white chocolate covered pretzels1 cup mini marshmallows1 cup chocolate chips1 cup M&Ms
- Enjoy immediately, or store for later. Scroll up and see the post for tips, substitutions, and answers to frequently asked questions.