Spiced eggnog cupcakes topped with creamy, eggnog flavored buttercream frosting. They’re a festive and simple holiday treat for kids and adults.
Eggnog, such a delicious drink with so much potential. You can add bourbon or rum to it and make an adult punch or you can use it in cooking as a sweet, flavorful fat.
Which is what we did for our eggnog cupcakes. Instead of using vegetable oil, Kim added full-fat eggnog.
It worked perfectly as a fat and kept these cupcakes moist while adding a unique twist to a boxed cake mix. I invite you to give them a try.
Instructions for Eggnog Cupcakes:
First, preheat your oven to 350° F. and pull the butter from your fridge to soften. Also, line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
Next, gather all the ingredients you need for the batter; cupcake mix, eggs, eggnog, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Afterward, in a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Use a whisk to mix them.
Last, fill the cupcake liners half-full with the mixed batter and bake in your oven for 12-15 minutes.
Once done, set them aside to cool while you make the frosting.
Instructions for the Frosting:
In a large mixing bowl, combine the softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and eggnog.
Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to blend the ingredients until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
Ice the cooled cupcakes and serve.
Tips for Successful Eggnog Cupcakes:
- Butter can be softened in your microwave using the lowest power setting and 10-second intervals.
- Make sure to break-up all the clumps in the dry ingredients before adding the wet ingredients to the batter.
- Use a toothpick to check if the cupcakes are done. If it comes out clean, then they are done.
- Please let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting, otherwise, the buttercream will melt.
- Feel free to substitute cream cheese for butter in the frosting. Just make sure to use an equal amount of cream cheese and reduce the sugar, “to taste.”
Eggnog Cupcake Batter
- 1 15.25 Ounce Yellow Cake Mix (we used Duncan Hines)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Eggnog (non-alcoholic)
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter (2 sticks, softened)
- 5 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Eggnog (non-alcoholic)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Eggnog Cupcake Batter
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. and remove the butter from your fridge to soften while you make the cupcakes. Prep your cupcake pan(s) with liners.
- Next, mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, cinnamon and nutmeg. Break up as many of the clumps as possible.
- Then, using a stand mixer or hand mixer, combine the dry ingredients with the eggs and eggnog until everything is well blended.
- Last, fill each cupcake liner halfway with batter and bake the cupcakes for 12-15 minutes or until done. Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely before frosting. Repeat the whole process until the batter is gone.
- First, combine the butter, powdered sugar, eggnog, and vanilla extract in a large bowl or stand mixer.
- Next, blend the mixture until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Last, frost each cupcake with buttercream and serve. The cupcakes can be stored in a sealed container in your fridge for up to three days.