*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
A simple Coquito recipe that’s festive and perfect for lifting your holiday spirits. A rich and creamy coconut eggnog spiked with white rum.
When I first heard about this drink, I only had one question in mind. What’s the difference between a coquito recipe and a spiked eggnog?
It turns out quite a bit. For starters, coquito has its roots in Puerto Rico and features coconut cream.
Whereas, eggnog tends to use a dairy-based creamer.
In other words, what makes coquitos special is the use of island ingredients.
Just take a look at the amazing combination of holiday and tropical ingredients in this coquito drink.
It combines rich, decadent flavors like evaporated milk and coconut cream with earthy spices and smooth white rum. You can’t go wrong with this one.
How to Make a Coquito:
As you can tell, mixing this coquito recipe can be done in minutes.
Next, blend the mixture for four to five minutes or until the drink is smooth and creamy.
Then, chill the coquito in your fridge for about 30 minutes. Last, give it a quick stir before serving.
Now, it’s true ours probably doesn’t qualify as a “traditional” Puerto Rican coquito recipe.
However, it was given to us by Kim’s friend while living in Miami, Fl. I’m sure she’d agree it represents the traditional flavors quite well.
Here are a few tips to ensure your holiday coquito recipe turns out perfectly.
- Use a blender to mix the drink, it’s faster and easier to chill in the same container.
- After chilling, make sure to stir the coquito before serving. The spices settle during the chilling process.
- Go easy on the nutmeg, especially if you’re using it as a garnish. Nutmeg is a powerful spice.
- Garnish the drink with whipped cream and cinnamon stick, trust me it’s yummy!
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 2 Large egg yolks
- 1 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 1 15 ounce can of cream of coconut
- 1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup white rum, (Bacardi, Captain Morgan’s, etc.)
- First, in a large pot or straight into your blender combine the egg yolks, evaporated milk, cream of coconut, sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and white rum.
- Next, blend the mixture for 4 to 5 minutes until it is smooth and creamy.
- Then, chill and stir before serving.
- Last, it can be garnished with whipped cream, ground cinnamon, or cinnamon sticks.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a four to six-ounce serving size. Actual calories will vary. The spices in the drink will settle as it chills, please give it a quick stir with a whisk before serving. Can be stored in the fridge for up to two days in a sealed container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 6 Ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 2mg