Homemade whipped cream is light, airy, and easy to make. It only takes three ingredients and five minutes to create the perfect topping for drinks and pies!
Homemade whipped cream only takes a handful of ingredients and less than ten minutes to prepare. Best of all, it’s blank slate for creating your own unique whipped toppings.
The list goes on and on. In fact, this recipe is the most used condiment in our personal kitchen. We use it on cakes, cobblers, drinks, pancakes, and pies.
How to make homemade whipped cream:
First, grab a large mixing bowl and a hand mixer. Or, if you have a stand mixer, use that instead. Just be sure to use the whisk attachment.
Measure out the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Place them all into the bowl.
It’s important that the heavy cream be very cold in order for it to whip properly.
Typically, Kim or I will will whip the mixture on low to start, then increase it to medium after about one minute has passed.
Then, continue to blend the mixture on medium speed for about three to four more minutes. At that point, the heavy cream should start to form fluffy peaks.
That’s it, your homemade whipped cream is done. See, that was super easy and so much better than anything you’ll get from a can or tub.
Whipped Cream Tips:
- How long does homemade whipped cream last? Usually, when stored in a sealed container, in your fridge, whipped cream will last up to five days.
- Can whipped topping substitute whipped cream? That depends on the recipe. For example, there are certain ice box pies that will work better if you use a whipped topping substitute. So, in short, check the recipe first before you assume anything.
- Do you need a cold bowl to make whipped cream? No, you don’t need to chill the bowl. I know a lot recipes start out that way, but it’s not required. I can tell you this based on my own experiences in both commercial and personal kitchens.
Other whipped cream recipes you may enjoy:
- Bourbon Whipped Cream
- Amaretto Whipped Cream
- Irish Cream Whipped Cream
- Maple Whipped Cream
- Lemon Whipped Cream
Don’t forget to check out our Homemade Whipped Cream web story!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and use a hand mixer or hand blender to whip until stiff peaks form, about 3-5 minutes. Other options are to use a stand mixer with a whisk attachment or a blender.
- Store unused whipped cream in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a serving size of two tablespoons of homemade whipped cream. Actual calories will vary.
*We've used both heavy cream and heavy whipping cream for this recipe. Either will work.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 Ounce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.