Macadamia Cupcakes topped with a silky white chocolate frosting. The perfect sweet treat for your Valentine’s Day celebration.
Before I got married, I wasn’t a “Valentine’s Day,” kind of guy. I usually stuck with the standard tropes.
Red roses, boxes of candy, and a piece of jewelry were the staples of my repertoire. However, after a few years of being with Kim, that wore out pretty quick.
We had to find another way to show how much we adore each other. I suggested we start making something each other like red velvet cupcakes, cut out sugar cookies, or cinnamon French toast and scrambled eggs for a nice breakfast.
Given the fact I am comfortable in the kitchen, I always prepared a meal for Kim. She seemed to love the idea of making food as a show of affection.
This year, Kim searched around and found an amazing frosting recipe on Food and Wine.
Kim decided to pair that with macadamia cupcakes. She’s always been good at decorating cakes and pastries.
The macadamia cupcakes with white chocolate frosting Kim made were phenomenal! The cake texture was spot-on, and the frosting tasted like smooth and creamy white chocolate.
Needless to say, these cupcakes did not last long. Kim will have to make more for me.
These macadamia cupcakes with white chocolate frosting were a Valentine’s Day gift I loved and cannot wait for her to make it again.
How to Make Macadamia Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting:
- Start by preheating the oven to 350°F. While the oven heats, line two muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Afterward, in a large bowl or stand mixer, combine cake mix, water, eggs, pudding mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, vanilla, and macadamia extract.
- After the batter is well mixed, use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop the batter into the cupcake liners. Fill each liner about half the way full.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Keep in mind that every oven bakes a little differently, so start checking the cupcakes for doneness around 14 minutes, although it may take up to 20.
White Chocolate Frosting:
- First, melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat stirring constantly. Melting the chocolate can also be done in the microwave on half power stirring every 15 seconds.
- After the chocolate melts, remove it from the heat. Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Then add the chocolate and mix an additional minute. Next, pour in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Beat the mixture on low speed until the everything is incorporated, then switch to medium speed for another minute to ensure there are no lumps.
- Lastly, use a spoon, knife, or piping bag to frost the cupcakes. Store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How do you add more macadamia flavor?
The macadamia extract used for recipe is quite strong. You can always use additional extract, although use it sparingly.
Another option is too finely chop macadamia nuts, and sprinkle them over the top of the cupcakes before serving.
Can you use white chocolate chips for the white chocolate frosting?
We haven’t tried to swap white chocolate chips in place of the white baking chocolate. It may work ok, however, be careful which chips you choose.
Some are very high in palm oil and that will change the consistency of the frosting. Choose a good quality white chocolate chip if you decide to make the switch.
Can you double or triple the recipe?
This recipe makes about 22-24 cupcakes depending on how full you fill the cupcake liners. If you need to double or triple the recipe, we recommend making this recipe as a single, stand alone recipe multiple times without attempting to double or triple the ingredient amounts for one giant batch.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
White Chocolate Frosting
- 12 ounces white chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
To Make the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line two muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine cake mix, water, eggs, pudding mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, vanilla, and macadamia extract.16.25 ounces white cake mix1 cup water3 large eggs3.4 ounces instant vanilla pudding¾ cup sour cream½ cup vegetable oil1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract2 teaspoons macadamia extract
- Use a scoop or measuring cup to pour ¼-cup of batter into each liner.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove them from the oven, place on a cooling to cool for at least 30-minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
To Make the Frosting
- Melt the white chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat stirring constantly. This is also be done in the microwave on half power stirring every 15 seconds. After the chocolate melts, remove it from heat, and let it cool slightly.12 ounces white chocolate
- Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer, and beat until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add the chocolate, and mix for an and additional minute.1 cup unsalted butter
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat on low speed until the everything is incorporated then switch to medium speed for about a minute to ensure there are no lumps.1 cup powdered sugar1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Use a spoon, knife, or piping bag to frost the cupcakes.
- Store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.