Nutella Frosting is a dream. Smooth, rich, and so creamy, this homemade frosting is so easy to make you’ll want to use it on everything! Expertly frost a hazelnut cake, top off vanilla cupcakes, or even use it as a fruit dip on your next charcuterie board.
We’re a big fan of flavored frostings here. A uniquely flavored icing can really set apart your baked goods. Luckily, buttercream frosting is wonderfully easy to make and super easy to change up the taste! Today, we’re making everyone’s favorite hazelnut spread even better, introducing: Nutella Frosting!
Now you can turn that spread into a rich, smooth, creamy, thick frosting for cakes, cupcakes, cookies, homemade brownies, or use it as a dip for fruit or pretzels. This frosting is utterly addicting, we could practically eat it on everything. This is a frosting made for licking right off the spoon!
How to Make Nutella Frosting
- Using an electric mixer and a large bowl, cream the unsalted butter until it is light and fluffy. Add a cup of the powdered sugar to start, a couple tablespoons of milk, the unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt. Whip again until everything is fully incorporated and the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add in the Nutella and another cup of the powdered sugar. Mix again. Continue adding either powdered sugar or milk until you reach your desired consistency.
- Now you’re ready to frost your favorite cakes or cupcakes or use as a sweet dip! Enjoy.
Tips and Variations
- For a thicker frosting, add more powdered sugar to the mix. For a thinner consistency, add milk.
- You can make a vegan version of this frosting if desired. Use coconut oil or a vegan butter substitute, almond milk (or your favorite non dairy alternative), and use a vegan hazelnut spread as opposed to Nutella.
- For a more whipped cream like texture to your frosting use a whisk attachment as opposed to a paddle attachment to insert air into the frosting.
- This recipe makes about 2 ½ to 3 cups of frosting so if you’re wanting to frost a large cake or do multiple layers of frosting you may want to make a double batch.
Storage: Nutella frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. You can also freeze this frosting for up to 3 months. Just thaw to room temperature and frost.
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 2 ½ -3 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Nutella
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt and whip again until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the Nutella and another cup of the powdered sugar.
- If you’d like it to be a little thicker, gradually add more powdered sugar or if it’s too thick pour in more milk until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Frost your favorite cake or cupcakes using your favorite piping tip (I used a Wilton 1M piping tip for the cupcakes in the photos).
- See post for storage options.