Chocolate Frosting – Whip up a quick and easy batch of homemade Chocolate Frosting that tastes like it’s straight from your favorite fancy bakery. Powdered sugar, rich cocoa powder, and warm vanilla combine to make a frosting that is light, fluffy, and oh so decadent in flavor. Use this recipe for cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and more!
Make your desserts memorable with our homemade Chocolate Frosting recipe. So quick and easy to make, and the taste difference from this recipe to store bought is undeniable. Our chocolate frosting is light, fluffy, and the perfect amount of sweet and chocolatey. Perfect for specialty cakes, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, the list goes on.
Use this decadent frosting to ice the perfect birthday cake for a loved one, or blow the other parents out of the water at the next school bake sale. Use this frosting alongside chocolate cake or a vanilla cake for a classic combination.
Get experimental with your cake flavors and try a strawberry cake with chocolate frosting and topped with fresh strawberries, great for a valentine’s day soiree or an anniversary. With this easy recipe, you’ll never opt for the canned frosting again.
- butter: Unsalted and softened.
- powdered sugar: Measured out before it’s sifted.
- cocoa powder: Unsweetened.
- milk: We recommend whole milk for a richer flavor, but feel free to use your own preference.
- vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract gives the best flavor.
How to Make Chocolate Frosting
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream the butter with a hand or stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add in 2 tablespoons of milk and the vanilla extract.
- Continue to slowly mix until the frosting is smooth and free of lumps. Add additional milk or powdered sugar to reach the desired consistency of your frosting. This recipe will cover a 9×9 inch cake or a standard batch of 24 cupcakes. Frost your favorite baked goods and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- For a thinner frosting, add more milk. For a thicker frosting, slowly add in more powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency.
- For piping or decorative use, you’ll want to chill your frosting for a few moments in the fridge so that it will stay stiff enough to keep the shape you’re wanting.
- For the best consistency, make sure your butter is softened to room temperature before mixing.
- Sifting the powdered sugar and cocoa powder does help but isn’t necessary if you don’t have a sifter readily available. The sifter helps reduce lumps that may form in the cocoa powder and powdered sugar giving the frosting a smoother texture.
- A touch of salt will help balance the sweetness and bring out the richness of the cocoa powder.
- A pinch of espresso powder will enhance the chocolate flavor in the frosting.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: This Chocolate Frosting will stay fresh in the fridge for up to a week when stored in an airtight container. When ready to use, simply bring to room temperature and lightly whip for a few seconds to get that light and fluffy texture once more.
Reheating: No heating or reheating for this recipe!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 5-6 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, and add in 2 tablespoons of milk and the vanilla extract.
- Continue to mix until the frosting is smooth and free of lumps. Add additional milk to reach the desired consistency.
- Use to frost an 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch cake.
- See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 ounce of chocolate frosting. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 ounce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 0g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.