These easy Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes are the perfect summertime treat! They’re deliciously loaded with tons of strawberry and lemonade flavors, all in one perfectly sweet package. The best part? It’s topped with a homemade strawberry buttercream frosting that can’t be beat!
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
Lemon and strawberry are such classic summer flavors! These bright and flavorful cupcakes will surely steal the show at any summertime get together. With July almost being over, make sure to whip up a batch before summer slips by!
Of course, don’t forget to add some colorful liners and mini straws as toppers to make these cupcakes truly look adorable. And don’t worry – you can make these delectable little desserts during any part of the year and relive summer over and over again.
For the Cupcakes:
- Lemon Cake Mix: Keep it simple! A boxed mix works just fine and makes your cupcakes light and fluffy.
- Eggs: 3 large eggs will give your mix the perfect consistency.
- Vanilla Instant Pudding: Or substitute for lemon flavored instant pudding for an extra kick of citrus.
- Sour Cream: Adding sour cream to cake mix makes the cake indulgently moist. This is a great secret ingredient for any time you want to dress up a boxed cake mix!
- Vegetable Oil: Did you know vegetable oil is what really keeps your cake mix moist?
- Lemonade Mix: Try using pink lemonade to switch up the recipe the next time you whip these up!
- Vanilla: A touch of delicate sweetness to blend with the tangy lemon flavors.
For the Strawberry Buttercream Frosting:
- Fresh Strawberries: Washed and hulled! Also, stay away from frozen strawberries.
- Powdered Sugar: Be sure to use powdered, not granulated sugar to get the right texture.
- Butter: Unsalted and softened is what’ll work best.
How To Make Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two cupcake pans with your favorite liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the lemon cake mix, water, eggs, pudding mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, lemonade mix, and vanilla. Mix until combined but don’t overmix the batter.
- Fill each cupcake liner about half of the way full.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting them.
For the Frosting:
- Place the strawberries into a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth. Pour the puree through a mesh strainer to remove the seeds. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the powdered sugar and softened butter. Slowly begin to add in the strawberry puree until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add the buttercream to a piping bag fitted with the tip of your choice and frost the now cooled cupcakes.
- For an extra touch, add a fun mini straw, a lemon slice, or a piece of strawberry as a garnish. Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Variations:
- If the frosting begins to melt when added to the strawberry lemonade cupcakes, you can place the buttercream in the refrigerator for about 15 to allow it to firm up. Or if you make the cupcakes ahead of time and want to frost the next day or before an event the frosting can be stored in the refrigerator until it is needed. Simply rebeat it before using.
- You may not need all of the strawberry puree in the buttercream. Start with a small amount and add as needed. Use the leftovers to add to a nice tall glass of lemonade!
- There is enough buttercream to lightly frost about 20 cupcakes. If you prefer a lot of frosting, consider making a double batch of buttercream.
Room Temperature: These cupcakes can be left out at room temperature for a couple of hours, but it’s best to transfer them to the fridge for long term storage.
Refrigerator: These cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
Freezer: Strawberry lemonade cupcakes do not hold up well to freezing.
Can’t Get Enough of Cupcakes? Bake Up a Batch of These!
- Fruity Pebbles Cupcakes
- Macadamia Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting
- Strawberry Champagne Cupcakes
- Cake Mix Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box lemon cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (3.4 ounce) vanilla or lemon instant pudding
- ¾ sour cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ounce lemonade mix (similar to Country Time)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line 2 cupcake pans with liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the cake mix, water, eggs, pudding mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, lemonade mix, and vanilla.
- Fill each cupcake liner ¼ to ½ of the way full.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Place the strawberries into a food processor or blender, and process until smooth. Pour through a mesh strainer to remove the seeds, then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the powdered sugar and butter. Slowly begin to add the strawberry puree until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add the buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a tip, and frost the cooled cupcakes.
- For an extra touch, add a fun straw, a lemon slice, or a piece of strawberry to the cupcakes.
- See post for storage recommendations.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 cupcake. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 224mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 34gProtein: 2g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.