Christmas Chex Mix is chock full of goodies like crunchy Corn and Rice Chex cereal, salty pretzel twists, sweet mini marshmallows, white chocolate chips, and milk chocolate candies. It's the perfect sweet and salty holiday snack!
Have you seen our Halloween Party Mix and 4th of July Snack Mix recipes? Since we aren't the type to make over-the-top holiday themed desserts, we thought the toned down snack mix recipes would be a cute way to show our festive side.
Now, here it is, right before Christmas, and we're in thick of putting out new recipes, like Instant Pot Hot Chocolate, Chocolate Caramel Pretzels, and The Perfect Rice Krispie Treat Recipe, and revamping some old ones like our Mint Chocolate Fudge and Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits.
Since the Halloween snack mix received a lot of positive feedback, we decided to make Christmas version, too. Only, the Christmas Chex Mix has more of a salty, sweet taste instead of being completely sweet like the Halloween mix.
We think you'll love this twist on the original Chex mix recipe.
How to Make Our Sweet and Salty Chex Mix Recipe:
In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk until the sugar dissolves, and the mixture resembles a caramel sauce. Set aside.
Next, combine the Corn Chex, Rice Chex, and pretzels in a large bowl.
Pour the butter mixture over the cereal and pretzels, and combine using a spatula or wooden spoon.
Make sure to mix the cereal well. Otherwise, when it cooks, there will be some that will clump together while other pieces won't have any butter and brown sugar mixture at all.
Carefully transfer the Chex mix to a baking sheet, and spread into an even layer.
I've never needed to spray the baking sheet with cooking spray or use parchment paper, but feel free to add either if you wish.
Place the baking sheet in a preheated oven, and bake for 45 minutes at 275° Fahrenheit turning every 15 minutes.
After the 45 minutes are up, remove the baked Chex mix from the oven, and allow it to cool before adding the remaining ingredients. Once the snack mix cools, transfer it back to a large bowl.
Add the popcorn, white chocolate chips, chocolate candies, and marshmallows. Give it a good stir to mix all the ingredients.
Serve immediately or divide out to give as gifts. Store any leftovers in airtight containers.
Tips for the Best Holiday Chex Mix Recipe:
- The most important tip I can probably offer is to use ingredients that you and your family like. My son hates white chocolate, so this Christmas Chex mix is not one of his favorites. However, that's an easy switch. Replace the white chocolate chips with semi-sweet chocolate or leave that ingredient out completely. Change this recipe up to make it unique to your tastes!
- Use different types of popcorn. I made plain popcorn on the stove and salted it. However, a microwave version would have worked just as well. Not to mention there are a ton of flavors when it comes to boxed popcorn.
- Don't forget to turn the Chex mix while it's in the oven. May I recommend setting an oven timer for 15 intervals as a reminder. Failure to turn the cereal can result in hard, burnt cereal pieces that stick to the pan.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
Butter and Brown Sugar Sauce
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, (melted)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Snack Mix Dry Ingredients
- 3 ½ cups Corn Chex cereal
- 3 ½ cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 ½ cups mini pretzels twists
- 2 cups popped popcorn, (Salty variety)
- 1 cup chocolate coated candy, (We used red and green M&Ms.)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 275° degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl. Mix until well combined. Set aside.⅔ cup light brown sugar6 tablespoons unsalted butter1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place the Corn Chex, Rice Chex, and pretzels in a large bowl. Add the butter mixture, and stir to coat. Transfer the cereal and pretzels to a baking sheet, and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.3 ½ cups Corn Chex cereal3 ½ cups Rice Chex cereal2 ½ cups mini pretzels twists
- After 45 minutes, remove from the oven and allow the mixture to cool. Then add the popcorn, candy, marshmallows, and white chocolate chips. Toss to combine.2 cups popped popcorn1 cup chocolate coated candy1 cup mini marshmallows1 cup white chocolate chips
- Serve immediately or store for later. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.