Chocolate Caramel Pretzels are a fun and festive sweet treat. Warm, melted caramel is sandwiched between two mini pretzels and drizzled with melted chocolate. Don’t forget the sprinkles! Family and friends alike will devour these chocolatey delights. Serve them at any potluck or party to be the most popular host!
Chocolate Caramel Pretzels
We love these easy to make Chocolate Caramel Pretzels. With the blend of salty and sweet, they are utterly addicting! The red, white, and green, drizzle of melted chocolate and dash of Christmas sprinkles make these perfect for school festivities, christmas parties, or just to have out as friends and neighbors drop by.
Of course, you don’t have to stop at Christmas. Change up the colors of the candy melts and your sprinkle choice and make these pretzel bites all year round. Also, keep in mind that these pretzels can be whipped up in a flash, so why not make a whole batch? Or several!
- mini pretzel twists: You’ll need 48 total.
- 12 soft caramels squares: Halved. You can use any brand you like.
- white chocolate: chips or baking chocolate will work. You'll need to divide it into 3 separate bowls.
- red, green, and white food coloring: You'll only need a couple drops of each.
- shortening: Coconut oil can be substituted.
- Christmas sprinkles of choice: Get creative here! This is what really makes this sweet treat festive for the holidays.
How to Make Chocolate Caramel Pretzels
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay 24 pretzels in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Place half a caramel square onto each pretzel.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes or until the caramels are softened.
- Remove the caramel pretzels from the oven and quickly press the remaining 24 pretzels into the softened caramels.
- Leave the pretzels on the baking sheet, allowing them to cool completely.
- Place 1 cup of white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl with about a teaspoon of shortening (or coconut oil). Microwave in 15-20 second increments, stirring between each until the candy is completely melted and smooth.
- Add a couple of drops of red food coloring, and stir to combine.
- Place the melted chocolate in a piping bag or Ziploc bag, and clip off the corner to create a small opening.
- Drizzle the red chocolate over each pretzel until they are all covered.
- Repeat the melting and drizzling process with the white chocolate chips and food coloring.
- After drizzling the last color, immediately add the Christmas sprinkles. Allow the pretzels to cool completely, so the sprinkles adhere to the drizzle.
- Serve in goodie bags or on a tray at room temperature and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Use a combination of white chocolate chips and blue food coloring for a wintery look. Snowflake sprinkles look adorable.
- Swap out the white chocolate chips and food coloring for different colors of candy melts. The color variety is endless. Plus, there are tons of fun sprinkle options.
- These pretzels are great to make several batches to give out to friends and family over the holidays. Share these or make an assortment of candies and treats and place them in festive bags to hand out at holiday parties or to friends and neighbors.
- Be sure not to heat the chocolate chips too quickly or it won't melt correctly. It’s important to heat them in 15-20 second intervals and stir each time.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Store these Chocolate Caramel Pretzels at room temperature in an airtight container for up to five days. If you can keep them around that long!
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 48 mini pretzel twists
- 12 soft caramels squares, halved (similar to Kraft caramel squares)
- 3 cups white chocolate chips, divided
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, or shortening, divided
- Red and green food coloring
- Christmas sprinkles of choice
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay 24 pretzels in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Lay half a caramel square onto each pretzel.48 mini pretzel twists12 soft caramels squares
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the caramels are softened.
- Remove from the oven and quickly press the remaining pretzels into the softened caramels.
- Leave the pretzels on the baking sheet, and allow them to cool completely.
- Divide the chocolate chips evenly between 3 microwave safe bowls with about a teaspoon of shortening in each. Microwave in 15-20 second increments stirring between each until the candy is completely melted and smooth.3 cups white chocolate chips1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Add a couple of red food coloring drops to one bowl, green food coloring drops to another bowl, and leave the last bowl without any food coloring. Stir to combine the food coloring into the melted chocolate.Red and green food coloring
- Place the melted chocolate in separate piping bags or Ziploc bags, and clip off the corner to create a small opening.
- Drizzle the red chocolate over each pretzel until they are all covered. Repeat with the green and white chocolate.
- After drizzling the last color, immediately add the Christmas sprinkles. Allow the pretzels to cool completely, so the sprinkles adhere to the drizzle.Christmas sprinkles of choice
- Enjoy at room temperature. See post for storage options.