Celebrate Thanksgiving with this fun chocolate lasagna. It’s simple to prepare and impossible to resist! Made with layers of tangy cream cheese mixed with fluffy whipped topping, and of course that classic chocolate pudding, this simple treat will delight all holiday season long.
Chocolate Lasagna is a wonderland of creamy whipped layers and chocolatey goodness. It’s so simple to make, it's a great dessert to whip up with the kids. Someone has to lick the spoons, right? This recipe is also super easy to customize to fit any dietary needs.
You can swap out ingredients to make this chocolate lasagna gluten free, sugar free, etc. You can even switch up the pudding mix flavors and toppings for any occasion! Best dessert ever? We think so.
How To Make Chocolate Lasagna
For the First Layer:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, softened butter, walnuts, and powdered sugar. Blend the ingredients into a dough and then press the dough into the prepared 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake the crust in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove it from the oven and let it cool for at least 20 minutes before adding the other layers.
For the Second Layer:
- Now, in a large mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, whipped topping, and powdered sugar. Mix the ingredients until they are smooth and creamy.
- Pour them into the baking dish over the completely cooled crust. Use a spoon or spatula to smooth out the mixture and cover the entire crust. Place the dessert in your fridge while you make the next layer.
For the Third Layer:
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to blend the instant pudding mix and milk. Make sure the pudding is completely mixed, then pour it over the cream cheese layer. Use a spoon to smooth and even out the layer.
- Place the dish back in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes to set.
For the Fourth Layer:
- Remove the pan from the fridge and use a spatula or frosting knife to spread out the whipped topping. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts as a garnish.
- Place the chocolate lasagna back into the fridge for a couple of hours to set.
- Slice and serve chilled.
Chocolate Lasagna Tips and Variations
- If you aren’t a fan of chopped walnuts there’s a myriad of other toppings that work great with this dessert! Try:
- Heath bar pieces
- Chocolate shavings or chocolate chips
- A caramel drizzle
- Strawberries or raspberries
- To tailor this chocolate lasagna to any dietary needs you can always use a sugar-free instant pudding mix with skim milk, or fat-free cream cheese.
- You can even try a gluten-free baking mix for the crust.
- Don't use soy milk in the chocolate pudding layer; otherwise, the pudding won't set up.
Yes, this layered chocolate pudding dessert can be made a day or two ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The places where the chocolate pudding layer touches the cream cheese and whipped topping layers will turn pink over time, but it doesn't change the taste.
Sure! Simply omit the cream cheese layer. This will leave you with the crust, chocolate pudding, and whipped topping. It will still taste amazing without the cream cheese.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Store any leftover Chocolate Lasagna in the fridge for up to four days. You can even make this recipe ahead of time and freeze it. Just be sure to thaw before serving.
Reheating: No need to reheat chocolate lasagna! Keep it nice and chilled.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
First Layer (Crust)
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup walnuts, chopped
- ⅛ cup powdered sugar
Second Layer (Cream Cheese Layer)
- 8 ounces block-style cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces whipped topping, similar to Cool Whip
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Third Layer (Pudding Layer)
- 7.8 ounces instant chocolate pudding mix, two (3.9 ounce) packages
- 3 cups milk, do not substitute soy milk
Fourth Layer (Whipped Topping)
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped; optional
For the Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the flour, softened butter, walnuts, and powdered sugar until a soft dough forms.1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour½ cup unsalted butter¾ cup walnuts⅛ cup powdered sugar
- Press the dough into the prepared baking dish, and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned. Remove it from the oven, and allow it cool for at least 20 minutes. ½
For the Cream Cheese Layer
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, whipped topping, and powdered sugar. Mix the ingredients until they are smooth and creamy.8 ounces block-style cream cheese8 ounces whipped topping1 cup powdered sugar
- Scoop the cream cheese mixture onto the cooled crust. Use a spatula to smooth out the mixture and cover the entire crust. Return the dessert to your refrigerator while you prepare the next layer.
For the Chocolate Pudding Layer
- In a third large bowl, use a hand mixer to blend the instant pudding mix and milk according to package instructions. Make sure the pudding is completely mixed, then pour it over the cream cheese layer.7.8 ounces instant chocolate pudding mix3 cups milk
- Use a spatula to smooth the pudding into an even layer. Place the dish back in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes to set slightly before adding the whipped topping.
For the Whipped Topping Layer
- After the chocolate pudding has set, carefully add the whipped topping. Spread in an even layer. Top with chopped walnuts if desired.8 ounces whipped topping¼ cup walnuts
- Transfer the chocolate lasagna back to the refrigerator for 2 hours to allow all the layers to set.
- Enjoy chilled. See post for storage options.