A delicious RumChata hot chocolate recipe featuring that smooth and creamy spiced liqueur combined with our homemade hot cocoa.
How can you make hot cocoa even better? By adding a spiced liqueur, of course. For today, we’re sharing Kim’s RumChata hot cocoa. It’s a boozy take on our own cocoa recipe.
We used a modified version of our homemade hot chocolate and flavored it with everyone’s favorite spiced rum. Rum mixed drinks are one of our specialities, so you know this Winter drink will be amazing!
How to make RumChata hot chocolate?
First, place a saucepan over medium heat. Add in the sugar, water, and cocoa powder.
Next, stir the mixture as it heats to a simmer. Once the sugar has dissolved, it’s time to add the remaining ingredients.
Then, reduce the heat and stir in the milk and RumChata. When the hot cocoa starts to steam, turn off the heat.
Last, pour the drinks into 2 heat-safe mugs (10 ounces each), top with marshmallows and serve.
That’s it, your RumChata hot chocolate is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the drink(s) responsibly and wish you all the best 🙂
Recipe Tips & FAQ’s:
- Since you’re working with milk, try not to let the cocoa come to a boil. Otherwise, it could separate.
- To make a virgin version of the drink, omit the RumChata, add 3 ounces of heavy cream, and spice the hot chocolate with cinnamon, vanilla extract, and a pinch of nutmeg.
- For even more chocolate-y flavor, consider drizzling the top of the cocoa with chocolate syrup.
Should RumChata be refrigerated?
According to the product website, RumChata does not have to be refrigerated.
Can you add RumChata in hot coffee?
Absolutely, with that being said, I would use room temperature RumChata to avoid chilling my coffee.
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 4 ounces RumChata
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and cocoa powder over medium-high. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the sugar and cocoa are well combined and the sugar is dissolved.¼ cup granulated sugar¼ cup water2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Add the milk, RumChata, and vanilla. Heat until warm but not boiling.1 ½ cups whole milk4 ounces RumChata½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings.