Whipped Hot Chocolate is easy to make and so much more fun than regular hot chocolate! Serve it on top of a glass of warmed milk with some crushed candy cane pieces and mini marshmallows for the most wonderfully festive sip.
Listen, every other house is going to leave the same old hot cocoa for Santa… be the house that changes things up with some Whipped Hot Chocolate! And don’t forget the Mini Christmas Cookies and Christmas Trail Mix!
Whipped Hot Chocolate
So, what exactly is Whipped Hot Chocolate? Essentially, it’s the most delicious way you could ever dress up a packet of instant hot chocolate mix!
It’s whipped until fluffy with ingredients like heavy cream and powdered sugar to create a sweet, fluffy cream that tastes just like the instant hot chocolate you know and love. We love serving ours atop a big glass of warm milk while we watch Christmas movies!
It’s such a fun recipe to make and is totally kid-friendly. They’ll love every sip of this festive treat!
How to Make Whipped Hot Chocolate
This quick hot chocolate recipe is so easy to make! So easy, in fact, you won’t mind making it over and over again every time your kids ask for it.
- Whip the heavy cream, hot chocolate mix, and vanilla extract together. Keep whisking in a large bowl until it starts to thicken.
- Add the powdered sugar and keep whipping until stiff peaks form.
Tips for the Best Whipped Hot Chocolate
- Any kind of instant hot chocolate will work for this recipe! We like to use milk hot chocolate, but any kind you like best will be just fine.
- If you want this process to be even quicker, make sure the bowl and whisk are both nice and cold! Keep both in the freezer until ready to use. The cold bowl and whisk will help the cream thicken and emulsify quicker.
- Once the Whipped Hot Chocolate is thick and fluffy, it’s good to go! Don’t beat it too much with the whisk. If you keep going, it’ll deflate the consistency.
- Feel free to use an electric mixer with a whisk attachment or a handheld whisk to whip the hot cocoa.
Storage: Whipped Hot Chocolate will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just make sure you keep it stored in an airtight container so it doesn’t develop a film.
Can I serve Whipped Hot Chocolate over chilled beverages?
Yes you can! While we like it best over warm milk, it’s also very tasty over chilled milk, too. For the ultimate in chocolate goodness, try a dollop over chocolate milk! We also love whipped hot cocoa over a warm cup of coffee. Yum!
Can I substitute the instant hot chocolate mix?
I don’t recommend it. Instant hot chocolate mix is the star of the show here, and nothing else quite tastes the same. If you do want to change things up a little bit, you could always use my favorite Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix!
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2.76 ounces hot chocolate mix, 2 (1.38 ounce) packages or two packages of your favorite variety
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 6 to 8 ounces warm milk, for serving
- Whip the heavy cream, hot chocolate mix and vanilla together in a large bowl until it starts to thicken.1 cup heavy whipping cream2.76 ounces hot chocolate mix½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add the powdered sugar and whip again until stiff peaks form. Serve over warm milk with crushed candy canes and mini marshmallows if desired.¼ cup powdered sugar6 to 8 ounces warm milk
- See post for tips and storage options.