White Hot Chocolate might just be our favorite drink of the holiday season! This homemade dessert drink uses just 3 inexpensive ingredients and comes together in just a few simple steps. It’s smooth, sweet, rich, and is sure to warm you up on even the chilliest of winter days.
Why let regular chocolate have all the fun?! We’re huge white chocolate fanatics. If you’d like to add a little bit of that signature sweetness to the start of your day, consider sipping on a White Chocolate Mocha with extra whipped cream!
White Hot Chocolate
‘Tis the season… Of hot chocolate! I don’t know about you guys, but hot chocolate season for me starts in October. Well, to be honest, it’s always hot chocolate season in my kitchen.
Of all my favorite hot chocolate recipes (and I have quite a few that I adore), White Hot Chocolate might just be my most treasured. You only need milk, vanilla extract, and white chocolate chips to make this easy recipe and it always hits the spot.
You’ll love every smooth and rich sip of this sweet drink. This easy White Hot Chocolate recipe is both high quality and simple. The best of both worlds!
How to Make White Hot Chocolate
Grab the white chocolate chips and let’s get to stirring!
- Whisk together the milk and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Pour in the chocolate chips when you start to see bubbles around the edges of the pan. Keep in mind that you want it to simmer, but not fully boil.
- Keep whisking until the concoction is nice and creamy. It should take about 4 minutes to reach the desired consistency.
- Turn off the heat. Let the hot chocolate cool for about 5 minutes while you keep whisking.
- Serve with all of your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- It’s very important to use high quality white chocolate chips! We like to either use Ghiradelli chips or a Lindt bar.
- For the best flavor, use 100% pure vanilla extract, not imitation.
- You can use any milk you’d like. We like to use whole milk since it has the richest consistency, but you can opt for skim if you’d like. Just know that the consistency might not be as decadent.
- You can use a plant based milk if you’d like! We recommend oat milk, since it’s a bit richer and smoother than other plant based milks.
- Some of our favorite toppings include mini marshmallows, peppermints, whipped cream, and white chocolate shavings.
White hot chocolate is best enjoyed immediately. If you happen to have any hot cocoa leftover, store it in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat the hot chocolate on the stove top or the microwave just until warmed through before serving.
Why did my milk burn?
It’s so important to keep the simmer slow, low, and steady. You don’t want to risk scalding the milk! If you do burn the milk/bring it to a full rolling boil, it’s best to toss it out and start over again.
Can I use a white chocolate bar instead of chips?
Yes! This white hot cocoa can easily be made with a white chocolate bar instead of chips. Just be sure to chop it up into small pieces so it melts more easily for you.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups white chocolate chips, high quality (We like Ghiradelli chips or a Lindt bar.)
- Whisk the milk and vanilla together in a large saucepan over medium heat.4 cups whole milk1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Once the liquid begins to bubble around the edges, pour in the chocolate chips. Do not boil the milk or it will burn. Just let it barely simmer while you whisk.1 ½ cups white chocolate chips
- Continue whisking the entire time to prevent burning until the chocolate is fully melted and creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let the mixture cool for 5 minutes as you continue whisking the entire time.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream, crushed peppermints, white chocolate shavings and mini marshmallows if desired.
- See post for tips and storage options.