Our stovetop hot chocolate with chocolate chips only uses 4-ingredients! It's rich, creamy, and the perfect drink for a cool Fall evening.
Temperatures are finally starting to cool off; especially, in the evenings. It's almost hot cocoa season.
So, Kim and I decided to share a super simple hot chocolate with chocolate chips recipe.
As the name implies, Kim made a rich, sweet hot chocolate using milk chocolate chips. This one is more of an instant hot chocolate instead of a homemade hot chocolate mix.
Best of all, the recipe is done in 10-minutes or less! You can make it on the stove or in the microwave. If you're feeling adventurous, then consider creating your own homemade marshmallows.
In the meantime, let's get started on this hot chocolate.
How to make hot chocolate with chocolate chips:
First, grab a large saucepan. Add in the milk, chocolate chips, and vanilla extract.
Next, place the saucepan over low heat and start stirring. Be careful, don't let the mixture come to a boil.
Should the liquid start to simmer, pull it off the heat and keep stirring. Then, once the chocolate chips have completely melted, turn off the heat.
Stir the hot cocoa for a few seconds to make sure everything is combined. Last, transfer it to the mugs and serve it with your favorite toppings.
That's it, your hot chocolate with chocolate chips recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Chips Tips:
- You can make hot chocolate with chocolate chips in the microwave. Simply combine the ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl. Warm it on low power for 5 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Once the chocolate chips have been incorporated into the liquid, the drink is done.
- Can I replace chocolate chips with a chocolate bar? Absolutely, just be sure to break it up into small chunks before adding it to the saucepan. Then, continue the recipe as it's written.
- Can I make hot chocolate with coconut milk? Sure, all you have to do is substitute 4 cups of the coconut milk for the milk.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 ¼ cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate chips, and vanilla over low heat. Stir until the chocolate chips are completely melted and the ingredients begin to steam but not boil.4 cups whole milk1 ¼ cup milk chocolate chips1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pour into 4 serving cups, and add your favorite toppings.
- Serve immediately!