*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Our stove-top hot chocolate with chocolate chips only uses 4-ingredients! It’s rich, creamy, and the perfect drink for a cool Fall evening.
Temperatures are finally starting to cool off; especially, in the evenings. It’s almost hot cocoa season.
So, Kim and I decided to share a super simple hot chocolate with chocolate chips recipe.
Best of all, the recipe is done in 10-minutes or less! You can make it on the stove or in the microwave.
If you’re feeling adventurous, then consider creating your own homemade marshmallows.
In the meantime, let’s get started on this hot chocolate.
How to make hot chocolate with chocolate chips?
First, grab a large saucepan. Add in the milk, heavy cream, milk chocolate chips, and vanilla extract.
Next, place the saucepan over low heat and start stirring. Be careful, don’t let the mixture come to a boil.
Should the liquid start to simmer, pull it off the heat and keep stirring.
Then, once the chocolate chips have completely melted, turn off the heat.
Stir the hot cocoa for a few seconds to make sure everything is combined.
Last, transfer it to the mugs and serve it with your favorite toppings.
That’s it, your hot chocolate with chocolate chips recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
- You can make hot chocolate with chocolate chips in the microwave. Simply combine the ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl. Warm it on low power for 5-minutes, stirring every 30-seconds. Once the chocolate chips have been incorporated into the liquid, the drink is done.
- Can I replace chocolate chips with a chocolate bar? Absolutely, just be sure to break it up into small chunks before adding it to the saucepan. Then, continue the recipe as it’s written.
- Can I make hot chocolate with coconut milk? Sure, all you have to do is substitute 4-cups of the coconut milk for the dairy milk and heavy cream.
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 3 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 ¼ Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
In a large saucepan, combine the milk, heavy cream, chocolate chips, and vanilla over low heat. Stir until the chocolate chips are completely melted and the ingredients begin to steam but not boil.
Pour into 4 serving cups, and add your favorite toppings.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of about 1-cup of the hot chocolate with chocolate chips. Additionally, it does NOT include the whipped topping or marshmallows shown in the photos. Actual calories will vary. Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container, in your fridge, for up to 3-days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1-Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 598Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 2gSugar: 38gProtein: 11g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.