Have you ever wanted to make your own marshmallows? Now you can with our simple marshmallow recipe. Easy and delicious handmade marshmallows at home!
Kim and I love marshmallows. We use them all sorts of sweets like Instant Pot hot cocoa and Rice Krispies treats.
Unfortunately, our gooey household favorite has been difficult to find lately. So, we decided to make homemade marshmallows.
At first, we thought it would be a pain to make them at home. However, it turns out, handmade marshmallows are pretty easy to prepare.
In fact, we two types on the website, this version and our homemade strawberry marshmallows.
For our recipe, we kept things simple and only flavored them with vanilla extract.
But, you can create any flavor you want by substituting a different flavored extract. For example, you could use cherry or lemon extract instead.
How to make our simple marshmallow recipe?
First, in a large bowl, whisk together the gelatin and ½-cup of cold water. Set the bowl aside for now.
After that, grease a 9x13-inch dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray and set it aside as well.
Next, place a small saucepan over medium heat. Combine the other ½-cup water with the granulated sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
Go ahead and stir the mixture as it cooks. Be sure to have a candy thermometer nearby.
It should only take about 7-10 minutes for the sugar mixture to reach 240 degrees F. Use the photo below as a reference.
Then, once the syrup and sugar reaches the proper temperature, remove the pan from the heat.
Use your hand mixer to combine the hot liquid with the gelatin. Be very careful and slowly pour the hot liquid into the bowl while mixing on low speed.
Now, mix the liquid marshmallow base on low speed for about 3-minutes, then slowly add the vanilla extract.
Increase the speed on your hand mixer to high and continue blending the ingredients for another 3-5 minutes until it white and fluffy.
Afterward, pour the creamy marshmallows into the prepared dish. Wet your hands and press the mixture into an even layer.
- At this point, the mixture should be cool enough to touch with your hands. However, you have to use common sense. If it's still pretty warm, then don't touch it until it cools a little.
Last, sprinkle powdered sugar over the top of the marshmallows and allow them to cool on your counter top for 3-hours before slicing.
That's it, your simple homemade marshmallow recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the treat and wish you all the best 🙂
Tips for the best homemade marshmallows:
- A hand mixer with a whisk attachment will work for combining the sugar mixture into the gelatin. However, a stand mixer with the paddle attachment is a better option.
- Dip your rubber spatula in water to scrape the marshmallow off the paddle attachment and out of the mixing bowl. It's less likely to stick if it's been dipped in warm water.
- To keep the marshmallows from sticking together when stored, toss them in extra powdered sugar after you cut them into squares.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 21 grams unflavored gelatin, 3 (7 gram) packets
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, or bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the gelatin and ½ cup of cold water. Set aside. Grease a 9 x 13-inch glass pan and set aside.21 grams unflavored gelatin
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the remaining ½ cup cold water, sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves then adjust the temperature to medium high. Insert a candy thermometer and stop stirring. Allow the temperature to reach 240° degrees then remove from heat, about 7 to 10 minutes.1 ¾ cups granulated sugar¾ cup light corn syrup⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Mixing on low speed with the paddle attachment, slowly pour the sugar mixture into the softened gelatin. Increase the speed to high and continue to mix, adding the vanilla while mixing. The mixture will become thick and fluffy. This could take anywhere from 4 to 10 minutes, and the mixture should cool considerably and be spreadable without burning your skin.1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the prepared pan, and use wet hands to press the marshmallows into an even layer. Sprinkle powdered sugar over top and allow the marshmallows to sit for several hours before slicing.1 tablespoon powdered sugar