A sweet butterscotch coffee made with a flavorful dark roast, velvety butterscotch sauce, and rich heavy cream!
Tis the season for comforting, sweet coffee drinks. Personally, I love a cup of fresh brewed butterscotch coffee. There's only one problem with most of the recipes I've found. They use butterscotch Schnapps. Unless I'm on vacation, I try to avoid booze first thing in the morning. So, we decided to share a non-alcoholic version.
Our drink has all the flavor of a regular version without the bite of booze. To create the drink, Kim used her homemade butterscotch sauce and a high-quality dark roast coffee. With only 3 ingredients and 2 steps, it a super easy recipe to make. So, shall we get started?
How to make butterscotch coffee without alcohol:
First, start by brewing 12-ounces (1.5 cups) of coffee. Feel free to use a flavored variety if you want.
Check out the tips section for suggestions. Once the coffee is ready, grab 2 mugs.
Next, add 2-ounces of butterscotch syrup (or sauce) into each mug. After that, pour in 1-ounce of heavy cream.
I recommend using heavy cream if you choose a dark coffee. Milk and half and half will work just fine light roast or coffee house blends.
Last, pour in 6-ounces of the fresh brewed coffee. Use a spoon to stir everything together.
The garnishes in photos are optional. Kim and I love the extra toppings, but they're not a necessity. That's it, your non-alcoholic butterscotch coffee recipe is done. We hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best.
- Dark roasted coffee beans might be a little too heavy in flavor for you. If that's the case, then consider using a French vanilla or caramel flavored coffee instead. Toasted pecan and hazelnut coffee are great options as well.
- A lot people tend to shy away from dairy based creamers. Full-fat coconut milk makes a great substitution for heavy cream. Almond milk won't be heavy enough to cut through the other flavors.
- Now, if you want to add butterscotch Schnapps to the recipe, then go for it. With that being said, I only recommend adding about 1.5 ounces (or 1 shot) per drink.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 12 ounces freshly brewed coffee
- 4 ounces butterscotch sauce, or syrup
- 2 ounces milk, heavy cream or half and half
- Divide the coffee, butterscotch sauce, and milk evenly between the two mugs or heat-safe glasses. Stir to combine.12 ounces freshly brewed coffee4 ounces butterscotch sauce2 ounces milk
- Top with whipped cream and extra butterscotch sauce. Serve hot!
- Optional Garnishes: Whipped Cream, Drizzle of Butterscotch Sauce, Sprinkle of Demerara Sugar