Whether you’re lounging by the pool or wishing you were on a white, sandy beach, this Painkiller Drink will at least make you feel like you’re on a tropical getaway! Adapted from the famous Pusser’s Painkiller from the famous Soggy Dollar Bar in the Virgin Islands, this smooth cocktail features dark rum, sweet pineapple juice, tart orange juice, and creamy coconut flavors. Topped with nutmeg and garnished with fresh fruit, this cocktail is a summertime dream!
Cocktails made with rum are some of the most versatile and flavorful. There are so many varieties of rum and endless possibilities for add-ins and mixers. We love coconut, dark, gold, and white rum mixed with anything from citrus juice, liqueurs, sodas, and even flavored syrups.
The Painkiller Cocktail can be found at many a beach bar (or beach themed bar) and has served vacationers for decades. The smooth blend of dark rum and fruity flavors makes for a deceptively intoxicating drink.
Our recipe is an adaptation of Pusser’s Painkiller which originated in the Virgin Islands from a small swim up bar called The Soggy Dollar. From there it garnered praise and attention and can be found on beaches around the world – or any beach themed bar you happen to stumble upon!
You may not be sitting on a beautiful far off beach, but enough Painkiller Drinks and you’ll feel like you are. Perfect for by the pool, lake, or chasing away any lingering cold weather, we highly recommend this indulgent liquid escape!
How to Make a Painkiller Drink
- Using a cocktail shaker, add the pineapple juice, orange juice, cream of coconut, and rum. Shake vigorously until all ingredients are well blended.
- Fill a large glass or goblet with ice. Pour the cocktail over the ice and sprinkle a dash of nutmeg on top.
- Garnish the glass with an orange slice, a pineapple wedge, and a cherry.
- Sip, relax, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- We used more cream of coconut than the original recipe calls for but you can adjust to your tastes.
- Pusser’s Rum is our pick for this recipe, but a dark or gold rum will work as a substitute.
- If you’re having trouble finding the cream of coconut, check the drink mixers aisle. It’s typically in a can. You may need to melt it in your microwave before adding it to your cocktail. In colder climates, it can harden and separate. It’s still good! It just needs to be melted and stirred.
- While this recipe is for two painkiller drinks, you can increase the ingredients to make a large pitcher for a crowd.
- Make sure to use cream of coconut and not coconut cream.
Storage: Since this recipe is only for 2 cocktails, it’s best to enjoy right away. However, if making a pitcher painkiller cocktails for a party, you can store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Pour over ice when ready to serve. Cheers!
- 7 ounces pineapple juice
- 4 ounces dark or gold rum (Pusser’s if available)
- 3 ounces cream of coconut
- 2 ounces orange juice
- Ground nutmeg, for garnish
- Orange wedges, for garnish
- Pineapple wedges, for garnish
- Maraschino cherries, for garnish
- Add the pineapple juice, orange juice, cream of coconut, rum, and ice to a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously to combine the ingredients.
- Pour the cocktail over the ice and sprinkle nutmeg on top.
- Garnish the glass with an orange slice, a pineapple wedge, and a cherry. See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 (8 ounce) cocktail. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
* I used more cream of coconut than the original Painkiller recipe calls for. Adjust to your tastes.
*Pusser’s Rum is our pick for this recipe, but a dark or gold rum will work as a substitute.
*A mason jar with a lid will work in place a cocktail shaker.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:8 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 611Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 138mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 7gSugar: 41gProtein: 4g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.