Our peanut butter balls recipe features creamy sweetened peanut butter smothered in dark chocolate. Best of all it only uses 5 ingredients!
You can never go wrong with homemade candy, especially during the holidays. Today, we’re sharing Kim’s decadent and sweet peanut butter balls recipe. It’s a dark chocolate truffle that’s sure to please any peanut butter lover. Needless to say, these didn’t last long in our household.
Similar to buckeye balls, these little truffles are loaded with peanut butter and chocolate. Since they only use 5 ingredients, the hardest part is waiting for the candy to chill.
How do you make peanut butter balls from scratch:
First, place softened unsalted butter and creamy peanut butter into a large mixing bowl.
Afterward, use a hand mixer to combine them into a smooth mixture.
Next, add in the graham cracker crumbs and powdered sugar. Again, use your mixer to combine the ingredients.
Once a thick filling forms, turn off your hand mixer. Go ahead and line a large baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
Now, use a spoon to measure out 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of peanut butter filling. Using your hands, roll the filling into a large ball and place it on the prepared baking sheet.
Continue making peanut butter balls until all the filling is gone. It may take more than 1 baking sheet.
Then, place the pan(s) into your fridge to chill for about 45 minutes. When the filling has chilled for at least 30 minutes, pour the chocolate into a heat-safe (microwave safe) bowl.
After that, place the bowl into your microwave and melt the chocolate using the high power setting. However, be sure to stir the chocolate every 15 to 20 seconds to keep it from burning.
Once the chocolate has melted, use a fork to dip the peanut butter balls into the warm chocolate. Roll the balls around to coat the truffle on all sides. Return the peanut butter truffles to the baking sheet.
Again, repeat the process until all the truffles have been coated in dark chocolate.
Last, return them to your fridge to chill for at least 30-minutes before serving. That’s it, your peanut butter balls recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the candy and wish you all the best 🙂
Peanut Butter Balls Tips and FAQ’s:
- If you don’t have parchment or wax paper, you can use a silicone mat to prevent the peanut butter truffles from sticking to your baking sheet.
- Make the sure the unsalted butter is softened, at least to room temperature.
- You don’t have to use dark chocolate, feel free to use semi-sweet chocolate or even white chocolate if you want.
How do you make truffles that don’t melt?
We use tempered chocolate for two reasons. First, it remains solid at room temperature (so the truffles don’t melt). Second, tempered chocolate creates a shiny exterior on your homemade candy.
Does peanut butter harden after being melted?
To an extent. Most commercial peanut butters are solid at room temperature. So, once melted, they will regain their solid form after they cool.
Peanut Butter Balls RecipePrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 15 ounces semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate (We used Ghirardelli Melting Wafers.)
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, use an electric mixer to combine the peanut butter and butter until smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Continue to mix until a thick mixture forms.1 cup creamy peanut butter1 cup unsalted butter4 cups powdered sugar¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- Use a cookie scoop or a spoon to scoop out about 1 – 1 ½ tablespoons of the mixture, and roll it into a ball. Place the ball onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining peanut butter mixture. Refrigerate the peanut butter balls for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Just before removing the peanut butter balls from the refrigerator, melt the chocolate. Place the chocolate in a medium bowl, and microwave on high while stirring 15 to 20 seconds until melted and smooth.15 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- Use a fork to dip each peanut butter ball into the melted chocolate, and shake off the excess. Return the chocolate dipped peanut balls to the baking sheet. Drizzle the dipped balls with excess chocolate, then return to the refrigerator to set for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve, and store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.