This Halloween Chex Mix is the perfect recipe to make for your Fall get-togethers. With a mix of sweet, salty, and crunchy ingredients like Chex cereal, pretzels, and Halloween candy - it's sure to be a hit at any party or gathering. Get creative with this fun Halloween-themed snack mix recipe!
Don't forget to whip up a batch of Chocolate Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting, Nutter Butter Mummy Cookies, and Halloween Fudge to share with some special ghosts and goblins!
Best Halloween Snack Mix
Nothing says Halloween like a big bowl of festive, delicious Halloween Snack Mix! This easy-to-make snack mix is the perfect way to get into the spirit of the season.
Made with crunchy cereal, salty pretzels, sweet candy pieces, and a buttery coating it's sure to be a hit at any gathering or party.
Plus, it takes only a few minutes to prepare and then pop it in the oven to bake. This snack mix can easily be customized based on your favorite ingredients.
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Butter: We prefer unsalted butter, but salted butter also works.
- Brown Sugar: Either light or dark brown sugar works. We use light brown sugar, but dark brown gives the glaze more of a caramel or molasses flavor.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract is our favorite. Imitation vanilla works if that's what you keep on hand.
- Chex Cereal: Equal amounts of Corn Chex and Rice Chex work best.
- Mini Pretzels: If you can't find mini pretzels, use small pretzel sticks or break larger pretzels into smaller pieces.
- Autumn Mix Candy: We use Brach's Autumn Mix for a variety of shapes and colors. Feel free to replace this with equal amounts of candy corn.
- Reese's Pieces: These chocolate-coated peanut butter candies make the perfect addition to the snack mix. M&Ms make a great substitution if you can't find Reese's Pieces.
- M&Ms Candies: Plain M&Ms in Fall or harvest colors are our pick, but Reese's Pieces or Peanut M&Ms make a good replacement.
How to Make Halloween Chex Mix:
Our festive snack mix is incredibly easy to make. The longest part is waiting for it to bake.
Scroll to the recipe card below for full instructions and ingredient amounts!
- Preheat the oven to 275°F, and line to large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter and brown sugar. Use a whisk to ensure the ingredients are well combined, then add the vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix both types of cereal and the pretzels. Then, slowly drizzle in the brown sugar mixture, and stir everything together to coat.
- After the mixture has been evenly coated with the sauce, spread the cereal evenly onto the baking sheets.
- Place the sheet pans in the preheated oven to bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Allow the cereal to cool completely, then add the M&Ms, Autumn Mix candy, and Reese’s Pieces to the snack mix. Stir to combine, and enjoy!
Tips for Success:
- You’ll need a large mixing bowl for this snack mix recipe. If you don’t have one handy, divide the ingredients and brown butter sauce evenly between two bowls.
- Not a fan of Autumn Harvest candies? Swap out the harvest candies for another bite-sized treat. Peanut M&M’s or even mini peanut butter cups are a great option.
- Add some extra cereal like Cheerios, flavored Chex, or your other favorite cereal to the mix.
- For portion control, measure out your desired portion size and then store it in Halloween-themed plastic bags or paper sacks. Tie it off with rustic kitchen twine and you’ll have an adorable presentation for your snack mix while keeping the portion size in check.
- For a savory kick, use a butter and season salt mixture instead of the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. When combined with candy, it makes this a sweet and salty Halloween snack mix!
How to Store Halloween Snack Mix
Room Temperature: Store leftover Chex mix in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 to 7 days. Make sure the snack mix cools completely before storing.
Is Halloween Chex Mix gluten-free?
Our snack mix is not gluten-free. If you swap the mini pretzels for gluten-free pretzels and check all the other ingredients, it might be considered gluten-free. It's important to double-check all the ingredients just to make sure.
Can I add extra ingredients to my Halloween Party Mix?
Yes, absolutely! Here are a few ideas:
- Roasted peanuts.
- Mini peanut butter cups.
- Candy Pumpkins.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
Butter and Brown Sugar Sauce
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
Party Mix Dry Ingredients
- 7 cups Corn Chex
- 7 cups Rice Chex
- 6 cups mini pretzels
- 16.2 ounces Autumn Mix Candy
- 10 ½ ounces Reese's Pieces
- 1 cup M&M's candy, harvest colors if available
- Preheat the oven to 275°F, and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and brown sugar. Use a whisk to ensure the ingredients are well mixed, then add the vanilla.¾ cup unsalted butter¾ cup light brown sugar2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix both cereals and the pretzels. Add the brown sugar mixture, and stir to coat.7 cups Corn Chex7 cups Rice Chex6 cups mini pretzels
- Spread the cereal evenly onto the baking sheets, and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 45 minutes stirring in 15 intervals.
- Allow the cereal to cool completely, and add the chocolate covered candies, Autumn Mix candy, and Reese’s Pieces. Stir to combine.16.2 ounces Autumn Mix Candy10 ½ ounces Reese's Pieces1 cup M&M's candy
- Enjoy! See post for storage options.