Cinnamon oatmeal is full of cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla. It’s topped with a sweet icing drizzle and tastes just like a fresh baked cinnamon roll. It’s the perfect breakfast treat!
We are huge fans of homemade cinnamon rolls! Aren’t most people? While the thought of eating cinnamon rolls for breakfast everyday sounds like paradise, it’s not exactly feasible or healthy.
That’s what makes cinnamon oatmeal one of my favorite breakfast dishes. It’s the perfect blend of spices and sweetness with all the flavors of a cinnamon roll. I can’t think of a more satisfying way to start your day. You’ve got to try this recipe!
This recipe has a couple of steps, so I will separate everything out so it’s easy to follow along. How about we get started.
Start with the Cinnamon Oatmeal:
- First, start by heating the milk in a medium saucepan. Let it heat until it just begins to boil but not a full boil.
- Add the oats, and pull the pan off the heat. If the oatmeal looks a little thick, pour in some additional milk to thin it out a bit.
- Next, add the cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Separate the oatmeal into two separate bowls, and set aside.
Make the Sweet Icing Drizzle:
- Place the powdered sugar into a small bowl and add the milk. Whisk to combine.
- Drizzle over the prepared oatmeal.
- Serve the cinnamon oatmeal immediately.
- Add additional milk or fresh ground cinnamon as garnish.
- Feel free to use quick oats to cut down on cooking times.
- Are you watching your sugar intake? Substitute the brown sugar and icing with a sugar substitute or leave it out all together.
- For a gluten-free option, substitute regular rolled oats for your favorite gluten-free variety.
- Did we use too much or too little cinnamon for your tastes? Adjust the amount for your liking. This recipe is really versatile!
- For a dairy free or vegan option, switch the milk for your favorite almond, soy, or coconut milk.
Swirls of cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla cream cheese top soft, warm oatmeal in this inviting, protein filled breakfast dish. One bite of our cinnamon oatmeal and you'll be in love.
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 1/2 to 2 Cups Milk (depending on desired thickness)
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 - 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon (to taste)
- 6 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
In a medium saucepan, heat milk until it just begins to boil. Add the oats and remove from heat. Add additional milk if the oatmeal is too thick.
Add the vanilla, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
Place the oatmeal into two separate bowls.
In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
Drizzle the icing over the warm oatmeal.
Serve immediately and enjoy!