*This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission from the sale if you purchase from the affiliate link.
Instant Pot Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe is a hearty dish filled with tender pieces of steak covered in a creamy, mushroom gravy then layered over a bed of egg noodles.
Have you ever tried beef stroganoff? It’s one of John and Kale’s favorite meals. It was one of the first Instant Pot recipes we made when we purchased the pressure cooker two years ago.
Don’t worry, though. Since developing this easy beef stroganoff recipe, we decided to simplify it and made a Swedish Meatballs with Mushroom Gravy version, too.
Both versions have a creamy, rich, mushroom gravy, and both are served over pasta. However, one recipe is made is beef and the other uses store-bought meatballs. Super simple!
Ingredients Needed for Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff:
Don’t be intimated by the amount of ingredients in this beef stroganoff recipe. They’re well worth it in the end!
- Beef Sirloin: I like to look for a nice cut with some marbling but not too much fat. A little marbling is good, because it helps flavor and tenderize the meat as it cooks.
- Salt, Pepper, Onion Power, Garlic Powder, and Paprika: This is for seasoning the meat. Don’t skip the seasoning. It adds a ton of flavor and can’t be added after the meat is cooked.
- Olive Oil: Choose a good quality olive oil, not a blend and not Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The temperature of the Instant Pot liner can get very hot and cause blends and Extra Virgin Olive Oil to burn.
- Butter: As a general rule of thumb, we choose unsalted butter for all of our recipes. Butter means stick butter. Not margarine or oil-based butter from a tub.
- Flour: A basic All-purpose flour works great here.
- Mushrooms: We used fresh, white mushrooms for this recipe.
- Onions: We like white, sweet, or Spanish onions.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic is our favorite, but jarred garlic can also be used in a pinch.
- Red Wine: A dry, red drinking wine works best.
- Beef Broth: We use beef broth in our recipes. We’ve tried beef bouillon on occasion, but have found it to be too salty.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Use your favorite brand.
- Dijon Mustard: Use your favorite.
- Sour Cream: We prefer a full-fat sour cream to create a creamy, rich gravy.
- Water and Corn Starch: This combination will be the slurry to thicken the gravy. Tap water is fine along with your favorite brand of corn starch.
- Italian or curly parsley: Optional garnish.
How to Make an Easy Beef Stroganoff in the Instant Pot:
- Toss the beef with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute function and add the olive oil and sirloin. Sear the meat on all sides, and add the mushrooms, onions, and butter. Saute until the vegetables are beginning to soften, then add the butter.
- Next, add the garlic and continue to saute for an additional 30 seconds.
- Remove the meat and vegetables from the Instant Pot, and toss with flour to coat.
- Pour the red wine into the Instant Pot to deglaze the bottom by scraping off any pieces of meat that may have stuck. It’s best to use a wooden spoon!
- In a small bowl or mixing cup, whisk together the Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and beef broth.
- Add the flour coated beef and broth mixture to the Instant Pot.
Cook on high pressure for 13 minutes.
- While the sirloin cooks, mix the cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Set aside, you’ll need it later.
- Allow the Instant Pot to natural release for 10 minutes before completing a quick release.
- Add the sour cream, and stir to combine.
- Next, add the cornstarch slurry, and stir to combine.
Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
Variations for Beef Stroganoff:
- Don’t want to use sirloin? Swap it out with another type of beef like, chuck roast, round or rump steak, ribeye, or even tenderloin. Keep in mind that some types of meat may require tenderizing prior to being cooked.
- Want to make this stroganoff gluten-free? Use a gluten-free flour blend and gluten-free spices. Our corn starch is gluten-free, but it could easily be substituted with arrowroot. Ensure that the other ingredients (broth, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard etc.) are gluten-free. Switch out the noodles to a gluten-free option, rice, or mashed potatoes.
- Don’t like to use wine? No, problem! Use an equal amount of beef broth.
- No sour cream? Use equal amounts of Greek yogurt instead.
- Don’t like the spices used to season the meat? Change them out to spices your family likes. The spices I’ve listed are the basic seasoning spices we use on most of our meats.
- What about canned mushrooms? Canned mushrooms are absolutely fine! They will be a little smaller than fresh, but will still work. Be sure to drain and rinse them first.
- What kind of fresh mushrooms should you use? Use any kind that you like. I tend to choose white because they have a milder flavor than baby bellas, but choose your favorite.
Tips for Making a Successful Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff:
- Don’t overcook the meat, or it will become tough. Just barely sear it on all sides.
- Add a small spoonful of the heated beef sauce/gravy (after the pressure release) to the sour cream. Stir it to combine. Continue adding small amounts, a little at a time, to bring the sour cream up to the same temperature as the sauce. This is called tempering. It will keep the fats in the sour cream from separating and breaking.
- Make sure to deglaze the pan well; otherwise, you may get a “burn” warning. See #5 above for detailed information on deglazing.
Need more Pressure Cooker Recipe Inspiration?
Here are a few of our favorites!
- Instant Pot Risotto
- Instant Pot Deviled Eggs with Bacon
- Instant Pot Cream of Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup with Bacon
Are you still on the fence about purchasing an Instant Pot? Here’s the exact model we bought. It’s a 6-quart which feeds a family of 3-4 easily. Plus, it has the yogurt option!
If you like this Instant Pot Easy Beef Stroganoff recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
Instant Pot Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 1/2 – 2 Pounds Sirloin (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper (or to taste)
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 8 Ounces Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 White Onion (sliced)
- 2 – 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine
- 1 Cup Beef Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Water (to mix with cornstarch)
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- Parsley (for garnish)
- In a large bowl, mix sirloin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika. Toss to coat.
- Turn Instant Pot to “saute,” and add olive oil and sirloin. Sear sirloin on all sides until just barely browned.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, and butter. Continue to saute until the mushrooms and onions begin to soften. Add the garlic and saute for about 30 more seconds.
- Remove the meat, mushrooms, and onions from the Instant Pot, and place in a large bowl. Toss with flour to coat.
- Use the wine to deglaze the Instant Pot. In a small bowl or mixing cup, combine the Worcestershire Sauce, Dijon mustard, and beef broth. Add the mixture to the Instant Pot along with the sirloin and mushroom mixture.
- Close the Instant Pot, and set to cook on high pressure for 13 minutes. Meanwhile, make the cornstarch slurry by mixing the cornstarch with 3-4 tablespoons of water. This is also a good time to prepare the noodles or mashed potatoes.
- After the beef stroganoff cooks for 13 minutes, allow it to complete a natural release for 10 minutes before opening the steam valve for the quick release.
- Remove the lid and add the sour cream (see tips above for tempering). Stir to combine.
- Add the cornstarch slurry, and stir to combine.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately over noodles or mashed potatoes. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in an airtight container.