*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Everyone’s favorite mushroom soup made in a pressure cooker to save you time in the kitchen with all the flavor of a traditional cream of mushroom soup.
Instant Pot Mushroom Soup is a quick, dump and go recipe for mushroom lovers. It only takes a few minutes to prepare the ingredients, place them in the pot, set the time, and dinner is cooking! It’s one of our fastest Instant Pot recipes to date.
Soup season has been in full swing for a while now, and I can’t think of a better option than cream of mushroom soup. Not that it’s the only kind of soup around. We do have over 20 options of soup recipes and counting.
For today, we want to share our easy Instant Pot mushroom soup recipe. It’s basically a homemade version of the canned stuff but amped up with more flavor and extra mushrooms.
We made it in our pressure cooker, so you get a home cooked soup with a 4-minute cook time. With that being said, you’ll still need to add about 10-minutes of prep time and another 10-12 minutes for the cooker to come to pressure.
Still, an easy mushroom soup in less than 30-minutes sounds like a sweet deal to me. In regards to taste, it tastes like mushrooms, obviously. But, I added thyme and bay leaves to the dish to give it a little more depth.
What’s In Pressure Cooker Cream of Mushroom Soup
- White or Spanish Onion
- Bay Leaves
- Half and Half, Cream, or Milk (to make mushroom soup with no cream or make it vegan, simply swap it out with your favorite non-dairy alternative like soy milk, almond milk, or coconut milk)
- Cornstarch Slurry (cornstarch + water)
How to Make Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Soup
- First, go ahead and dice your onions (and garlic if you chose to use fresh instead of jarred). To be honest, a rough chop is all you need. Given the rustic nature of this dish, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Once you’ve prepped the onions, grab your pressure cooker and toss in the mushrooms, diced onion, minced garlic, vegetable broth, sea salt, ground black pepper, dried thyme, and bay leaves.
- Next, set the pressure cooker to the Manual/High Pressure setting and let the soup cook for 4-minutes. By the way, you’re already almost halfway done.
- Afterward, when the soup has finished cooking, perform a controlled release. At this point, carefully, remove the bay leaves using tongs. Please, try not to use your fingers and get burned.
- While the soup is cooling, grab a small bowl and a whisk. Now, combine the cornstarch and half and half in the bowl. Use the whisk and thoroughly combine the two ingredients. Make sure all the cornstarch gets mixed into the liquid.
- Then, set your pressure cooker to the Saute function and pour the cornstarch mixture into the soup. Using the same whisk or a wooden spoon, stir the soup as it begins to heat.
- Be careful not to let the soup come to a rolling boil or it might break. As it heats, the easy mushroom soup will begin to thicken. Continue heating and stirring it until it reaches your desired thickness.
- Last, when the soup is thick enough for you, turn off the heat and serve the dish in bowls. Feel free to serve it with any side you want. I like a crusty French baguette with my soups, but you can use crackers, croutons, or anything your heart desires.
- When deciding on what type of cream you’re going to use for this soup, it’s important to think about how hot a pressure cooker gets. We chose half and half because we were confident it wouldn’t break. However, you could use heavy cream, but you’ll want to let the soup cool a little before adding it.
- If half and half is too high in calories and fat, then try using milk. Just remember, the lower the fat content, the lower the “creaminess.”
- Serve this easy cream of mushroom soup with bread, crackers or your own homemade croutons. Croutons can be made by cutting up bread, drizzling it with butter or oil, a sprinkling of spices, and then baking it on 350 degrees F. until it browns lightly.
Looking for more Instant Pot or pressure cooker recipes?
Then check out one of these recipes:
- Instant Pot Black Bean Chili
- Instant Pot Potato Soup with Bacon
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
If you like this cream of mushroom soup Instant Pot recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
Instant Pot Easy Mushroom Soup
- 1 Lb. Mushrooms (fresh, sliced or chopped)
- 1 Medium Spanish or White Onion (diced)
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic (minced, jarred)
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme (dried)
- 2 Large Bay Leaves
- 1 Cup Half and Half
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch (or 3 Tablespoons, if needed)
- First, in your pressure cooker, combine the mushrooms, diced onions, garlic, broth, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Next, set the cooker to Manual/High Pressure and cook the ingredients for 4-minutes.
- After that, preform a controlled release and carefully remove the bay leaves.
- Now, in a small bowl or large measuring cup, stir together the half and half and cornstarch.
- Then, set the pressure cooker to Saute and pour the cornstarch mixture into the mushroom soup.
- Last, stir the soup and set it simmer until thickens. Turn off the cooker and serve the soup.