*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
A quick and simple cream of mushroom soup substitute recipe that can be made in minutes and saves you a trip to the store.
Nothing is more frustrating than missing that one ingredient you need to make a delicious dinner. From cheesy chicken dishes to creamy green bean casserole, they all seem to need the same thing, cream of mushroom soup. However, so few of us keep it in stock.
After running out of cream based canned soups last holiday season, Kim and I decided to start making a cream of mushroom soup substitute. We already have one for cream of chicken soup and one for cream of celery soup, so it just seems right to add this recipe to the blog as well.
How to Make Cream of Mushroom Soup Substitute:
- First, dice your mushrooms and gather the rest of the ingredients.
- Next, in a mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour and milk. Be sure to break up any lumps of flour.
- After that, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the mushrooms, chicken broth, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to boil and let it simmer for about two minutes.
- Then, add the milk and flour mixture to the saucepan. Make sure to whisk as you combine the liquids.
- Last, let the cream of mushroom soup substitute simmer until it reaches the thickness you desire. Keep in mind it will continue to thicken as it cools.
- You may let it cool and use immediately, or store it in a sealed container in your fridge for 3-5 days.
Tips for Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup Substitute:
- For a gluten-free cream of mushroom soup substitute, use a cup for cup or measure for measure gluten-free mix in place of the all-purpose flour.
- To create a vegetarian cream of mushroom soup substitute, then use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
- In a pinch, canned mushrooms can be used instead of fresh mushrooms.
Looking for some other great soup recipes? Give these a try!
If you like this Cream of Mushroom Soup Substitute recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
Cream of Mushroom Soup Substitute
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Mushrooms (diced)
- 1/2 Cup Milk (whole)
- 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- First, dice the fresh mushrooms.
- Next, in a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and milk.
- Then, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the chicken broth, mushrooms, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil and let simmer for 2-minutes.
- After that, add the milk and flour mixture to the saucepan and use whisk everything together.
- Last, let the soup simmer until it reaches your desired thickness. Let it cool and use it or store in a sealed container in your fridge.