*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Our French onion beef casserole combines savory ground beef, egg noodles, and French onion dip to create a warm and filling dish.
Over the years, Kim and I have shared a lot of different casseroles. A quick search on our site will give you plenty of options.
Today, we’re adding to that list with our new French onion beef casserole using ground beef.
It’s a rich, creamy casserole dish that’s warm and filling. Imagine a Hamburger Helper skillet casserole with a French onion twist.
Try this recipe on a cold day and you won’t be disappointed! So, shall we get started?
How to make French onion beef casserole?
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
After that, pre-cook the egg noodles using the package directions. See the tips section below to avoid mushy noodles.
Once they’re done, drain the noodles and chill them will cold tap water to stop the cooking process.
Next, place the ground beef and Worcestershire sauce into a large skillet and cook the beef over low-medium heat.
When the ground beef has completely cooked, drain the excess grease and return the meat to the skillet.
You’ll still use low-medium heat for the following steps of the recipe.
Afterward, open the can of cream of mushroom soup and the container of French onion dip.
Pour them both into the skillet with the cooked ground beef and combine the ingredients.
Stir the mixture as it comes to a simmer for 2-3 minutes. Then, turn off the heat and stir in the noodles.
Transfer the ingredients to the prepared baking dish and cover the beef and noodle casserole with shredded Gruyere cheese.
Place the dish into the oven to bake (uncovered) for about 15-minutes. Now, remove it from the oven.
Top the French onion beef casserole with fried onions and return the dish to the oven.
Last, continue cooking the casserole for 5-10 minutes or until the onions are crispy and golden brown.
Remove the dish from the oven and serve. That’s it, the recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
Recipe Tips & FAQ’s:
- For our recipe, used 93/7 ground beef. You can use beef with a higher fat content; however, you will need to drain the beef before adding the soup and French onion dip.
- We recommend cooking the egg noodles until they’re al dente. Otherwise, they’ll be mushy by the time to casserole finishes baking.
Can I freeze beef and noodle casserole?
Yes, once it has been cooked and cooled, it can be frozen. When properly stored, it will hold for up to 2-months in your freezer.
How long does French onion ground beef casserole last?
If you store it in a sealed container, in your fridge, it will last for 3-4 days.
Can I use ground turkey in place of ground beef?
Absolutely, you can substitute ground turkey for ground beef in this recipe.
Don’t forget to check out our French Onion Casserole web story!
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 12 Ounces Wide Egg Noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef (We used 93/7.)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 (16 Ounce) Container French Onion Dip, refrigerated variety
- 1 (10.5 Ounce) Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 ½ Cups Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- 2 Cups French Fried Onions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions, but drain them when they are al dente (still have a bite). Run cold water over the noodles, drain again, and set aside.
- While the noodles cook, brown the ground beef. Heat a large skillet over low-medium heat. Add the ground beef and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until the beef is cooked through and no pink remains. Drain the excess grease, then return the beef to the skillet.
- Add the French onion dip and cream of mushroom soup. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine the pasta and beef mixture, then transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and add the French fried onions. Return the casserole to the oven, and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until the French fried onions are lightly browned.
- Serve the casserole hot, and store the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1.25 cups of French onion beef casserole. Actual calories will vary. For more information and tips, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1.25 Cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 516Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 797mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 27g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.