Our French onion beef casserole combines savory ground beef, egg noodles, and French onion dip to create a warm and filling dish.
Over the years, Kim and I have shared a lot of different casseroles. A quick search on our site will give you plenty of options.
For example, you’ll a find a chicken Doritos casserole, a creamy chicken noodle casserole, easy tuna casserole, chicken spaghetti, spaghetti pie (kind of like a casserole) and even a crescent roll breakfast casserole.
Today, we’re adding to that list with our new French onion beef casserole using ground beef.
It’s a rich, creamy casserole dish that’s warm and filling. Imagine a Hamburger Helper skillet casserole with a French onion twist.
Try this recipe on a cold day and you won’t be disappointed! So, shall we get started?
How to make French onion beef casserole?
- First, preheat your oven to 350°F. and grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- After that, pre-cook the egg noodles using the package directions. See the tips section below to avoid mushy noodles.
- Once they’re done, drain the noodles and chill them will cold tap water to stop the cooking process.
- Next, place the ground beef and Worcestershire sauce into a large skillet and cook the beef over low-medium heat.
- When the ground beef has completely cooked, drain the excess grease and return the meat to the skillet. You’ll still use low-medium heat for the following steps of the recipe.
- Stir the mixture as it comes to a simmer for 2-3 minutes. Then, turn off the heat and stir in the noodles.
- Transfer the ingredients to the prepared baking dish and cover the beef and noodle casserole with shredded Gruyere cheese.
- Place the dish into the oven to bake (uncovered) for about 15-minutes. Now, remove it from the oven.
- Top the French onion beef casserole with fried onions and return the dish to the oven.
- Last, continue cooking the casserole for 5-10 minutes or until the onions are crispy and golden brown.
- Remove the dish from the oven and serve. That’s it, the recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
Recipe Tips & FAQ’s:
- For our recipe, used 93/7 ground beef. You can use beef with a higher fat content; however, you will need to drain the beef before adding the soup and French onion dip.
- We recommend cooking the egg noodles until they’re al dente. Otherwise, they’ll be mushy by the time to casserole finishes baking.
Can I freeze beef and noodle casserole?
Yes, once it has been cooked and cooled, it can be frozen. When properly stored, it will hold for up to 2-months in your freezer.
How long does French onion ground beef casserole last?
If you store it in a sealed container, in your fridge, it will last for 4-5 days.
Can I use ground turkey in place of ground beef?
Absolutely, you can substitute ground turkey for ground beef in this recipe.
French Onion Beef CasserolePrint Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 pound ground beef, (We used 93/7.)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 16 ounces French onion dip, refrigerated variety (1 container)
- 10 ½ ounces cream of mushroom soup, 1 can
- 1 ½ cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 cups French fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions, but drain them when they are al dente (still have a bite). Run cold water over the noodles, drain again, and set aside.12 ounces wide egg noodles
- While the noodles cook, brown the ground beef. Heat a large skillet over low-medium heat. Add the ground beef and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until the beef is cooked through and no pink remains. Drain the excess grease, then return the beef to the skillet.1 pound ground beef1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Add the French onion dip and cream of mushroom soup. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.16 ounces French onion dip10 ½ ounces cream of mushroom soup
- Combine the pasta and beef mixture, then transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with the shredded cheese.1 ½ cups Gruyere cheese
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and add the French fried onions. Return the casserole to the oven, and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until the French fried onions are lightly browned.2 cups French fried onions
- Serve the casserole hot, and store the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.