Homemade Hamburger Helper – Need a quick dinner that will feed a crowd? Then try our one-skillet homemade hamburger helper recipe made with pantry staples!
If you’re anything like us, then you’ve been cooking a lot over the last few days. To be honest, we could all use a little break. So, for today, we’re sharing Kim’s homemade hamburger helper. Since our recipe has all the flavor of the boxed version, you know it will be a crowd pleaser.
It’s a quick, tasty dinner that only takes about 30-minutes to prepare. Best of all, it uses pantry staples like canned tomato sauce. We like to make this for an easy dinner with a side of Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli or Roasted Brussel Sprouts.
How to make Homemade Hamburger Helper:
First, in a large skillet, combine the ground beef, diced onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and chili powder.
Place the skillet over medium heat and cook the beef until it’s completely done (no pink spots).
Next, open the can of tomato sauce and add it to the skillet. Also, pour in the beef broth and egg noodles.
After that, stir the ingredients to combine everything and bring the liquid to a simmer.
Now, cover the skillet with a lid and let the noodles cook for 5-6 minutes. Afterward, remove the lid, stir the mixture and let it continue cooking (uncovered) for another 5-7 minutes.
Then, once the noodles are tender, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Do a taste test and add salt and pepper if needed.
Last, serve the cheesy beef pasta while it’s still hot. Any leftovers can be stored in a sealed container, in your fridge, for up to 3-days.
That’s it, your homemade hamburger helper is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
Homemade Hamburger Helper Tips and FAQs:
- Keep an eye on the egg noodles while they simmer. If not, the noodles may overcook and become soft and mushy.
- You’ll need 10-12 inch non-stick skillet to prepare this recipe. I don’t recommend using a cast iron skillet unless you’re confident the noodles won’t stick.
- For our recipe, we used Colby Jack cheese. But, you can use cheddar, Monterrey Jack, or any other cheese you prefer.
Do you need milk to make homemade hamburger helper?
No, you do not need milk for our recipe. The mixture of tomato sauce and beef broth will work just fine.
How do you make good Hamburger Helper?
Back when I used to make the boxed versions, I added extra ingredients like sour cream, green chilies, and diced onion and peppers. In short, look at the flavor you purchased, then add pantry staples that will compliment the boxed mix.
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef (We used 93/7.)
- ½ Cup White Onion (about half a medium onion)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 8 Ounces Tomato Sauce (1 can)
- 3 Cups Beef Broth
- 8 Ounces Wide Egg Noodles
- 2 Cups Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium. Add the ground beef, onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and chili powder. Cook until the ground beef is cooked through and no longer pink. If desired, drain any excess grease.
- Add the tomato sauce, beef broth, and egg noodles. Stir to combine, and increase the heat to high. Allow the liquid to come to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- After 5-6 minutes, uncover and stir. Continue to cook uncovered for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- Remove from heat, and add the cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve hot. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1-cup of the homemade hamburger helper. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information and tips, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 1035mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 35g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.