A simple one pot stove-top tuna mac and cheese that creates a quick, filling dinner that's done in 15-minutes or less!
Life can be really hectic. On days like that, we need quick meals loaded with lean meat and veggies. However, nobody wants to stand in the kitchen making a pot roast when they're already tired.
That's why Kim and I have recipes like this stove-top tuna mac and cheese. Meat, veggies, and pasta all in one dish.
Since it uses pantry staples, you're bound to have all the ingredients on hand. Also, the meal is pretty cheap to make.
Combine one box macaroni and cheese, a can of tuna in water, and some frozen veggies and you have yourself a full meal. Want some quick recipes with meat, pasta, and veggies? Take a look at our bow tie crab pasta salad or our creamy Kielbasa pasta.
How to make tuna mac and cheese:
Basically, all your need to do is put 6-cups of water into a medium saucepan. You can add a pinch of salt to the water to flavor the noodles. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat.
After that, dump in the box of dry noodles and the frozen peas and corn. Then, let everything cook for about 7-minutes or until the noodles are soft. Drain the water.
Now, open the can of tuna and drain it. Add it to the pan of cooked noodles and veggies.
Last, stir in the butter, milk, and dry cheese packet. The dish should be warm and creamy.
That's it, your stove-top tuna mac and cheese is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
Tuna Mac and Cheese Recipe Tips:
- If you don't like corn and peas, omit them and add half a cup of any frozen vegetable you prefer.
- For our recipe, we used the cheap boxed mac and cheese. Feel free to use a different version. But, if the brand you choose has a liquid cheese sauce, then omit the butter and milk.
- You can store tuna mac and cheese, in your fridge, in a sealed container for up to 3-days.
Other mac and cheese recipes you may love:
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 7 ¼ ounces macaroni and cheese, 1 box
- 6 cups water
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup frozen corn
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 5 ounces tuna, drained
- Packet of cheese powder, from box of macaroni and cheese
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles and frozen vegetables. Cook until noodles are done, about 7 to 8 minutes. Drain, and place the noodles and vegetables back in the pan.7 ¼ ounces macaroni and cheese6 cups water¼ cup frozen peas¼ cup frozen corn
- Add the butter, milk, tuna, and cheese packet. Stir until the ingredients are combined and creamy.4 tablespoons unsalted butter¼ cup milk5 ounces tunaPacket of cheese powder
- Serve hot. The tuna mac can be stored in your fridge (in a container with a lid) for 3-days.