*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Try this three cheese macaroni and cheese for a gooey, cheesy, and comforting side dish. It’s loaded with gouda, cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses!
Whether it’s the holidays or not, three cheese macaroni and cheese is always a great idea. As you may know, we have an Instant Pot Mac and Cheese recipe and a baked mac and cheese recipe. However, for this post, we wanted something a little easier to prepare. Kim decided to create a cheesy stove-top version of the dish.
You may notice from the photos this three cheese macaroni is extra cheesy. The reason is that we reduced the amount of cream in the recipe. This change, in turn, created a fondue-like texture. Simply put, be prepared for a cheesy side dish!
If you find this offering to be too loaded with stretched cheese, then consider adding more cream to the base. Also, if you’re new to cooking, then please take your time and look at our instructions on the baked macaroni and cheese post.
Instructions for Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese:
First, start by cooking your pasta noodles per the box or package instructions. Feel free to salt the water, but remember, the salt you add now will show up in the final product.
Also, the noodles will be sitting for a bit and may dry out. If that happens, put them back in your strainer and wash them with warm tap water. This process will “refresh” the noodles before you add the cheese sauce.
Next, in a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Don’t let it overcook because you want to avoid letting the butter separate. It could ruin your pasta dish. After it has melted, sprinkle the flour into the pan.
Use a whisk and gently combine the mixture. Go ahead and let the roux cook for one to three minutes. Again, the longer it cooks, the thicker the sauce will be in the end.
It’s time to add the cream to the roux. Slowly pour in the dairy while whisking everything together. Let the sauce cook for about four to five minutes or until the sauce starts to steam.
Do not let it boil or it will “break.” Breaking occurs when the fat separates and it’s not a good thing. Once it starts to steam, start adding the shredded cheeses. Continue whisking all the ingredients until the all the cheese melts.
Looking at the picture above, you can see how thick and stretchy this cheese sauce turn out. Keep the sauce moving or it may “ball up” on you. When all the cheeses have melted, it’s time to pour the sauce over the drained noodles. Stir the three cheese macaroni and cheese until it’s all blended.
With that final step, you have completed the recipe. Serve it while it’s hot, add salt and pepper to taste, if needed. I wouldn’t recommend storing this dish, because rehearting it may prove difficult. In closing, I wish everyone a long life, love everlasting, and a tummy full of stringy cheese!
If you like this Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 Ounces Gouda Cheese (shredded)
- 8 Ounces Monterey Jack Cheese (shredded)
- 8 Ounces Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 1 Stick Butter (diced)
- 4 Tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream or Whole Milk
- 1 Lb. Macaroni Noodles or Short Pasta (cooked)
- First, cook your pasta per the box or package instructions. Drain and set the noodles aside to be used later. If they start to dry out, run a little warm water over them, mix gently, and re-drain.
- Next, over medium heat in a large saucepan, melt the butter and then add the flour. Whisk the mixture and let it cook for one to three minutes. The longer the flour cooks, the thinner the cheese sauce will turn out.
- Afterward, add the heavy cream to the butter/flour mix. Use a whisk to combine the ingredients, then let everything cook for about five minutes or until the cream starts to steam.
- Then, slowly add the shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, and gouda cheeses. Be sure to whisk the cheese sauce as everything melts together. The sauce should begin to thicken as it cooks for a few minutes.
- Last, pour the three cheese sauce over the drained pasta noodles. Stir, serve, and enjoy! Add salt and pepper to taste.