A cheesy, simple crescent roll breakfast casserole recipe made with sausage, onions, peppers, and cheddar cheese!
I’ll be honest, mornings aren’t the best for me. Usually, I’m groggy and out of sorts for a bit.
However, once I get my coffee and settle in behind my laptop, I’m in pretty good shape.
But, there’s always one hang-up, especially on the weekends. What to make for breakfast?
However, on the weekends, we love to cook a filling breakfast. For today, we’re sharing a weekend favorite.
Kim’s crescent roll breakfast casserole is cheesy, flaky, and loaded with sausage, onions, and peppers.
How to make a crescent roll breakfast casserole with sausage?
First, preheat your oven to 375° F. and grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
After that, open the can of crescent rolls and unroll them into the dish. Use your fingers to press the dough into the bottom of the pan.
The idea is to make a solid sheet out of the crescent rolls, so the filling and egg mixture doesn’t seep through.
Next, heat a large skillet over low-medium heat. Toss in the breakfast sausage, onions, and peppers.
Let the mixture cook for about 10-minutes and use your spoon to break up the meat.
Once the sausage is cooked, turn off the heat, and drain the excess grease. Now, transfer the mixture to the casserole dish.
Dump it right on top of the dough. Spread it out and sprinkle most of the shredded cheese over the meat.
Afterward, grab a large mixing bowl. Crack the eggs and use a whisk to combine them with the milk, salt, and pepper.
Your basically prepping scrambled eggs. However, instead of cooking them, pour the egg mixture into the casserole dish.
That’s correct, it gets poured right on top of the meat. Also, go ahead and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the egg mixture.
Last, place the casserole dish into your oven (uncovered) and let it bake for 35-40 minutes.
To check and see if it’s done, press a knife into the casserole, if it comes out clean, then the dish is done.
All that’s left to do is let it cool for a few minutes before serving. That’s it, your crescent roll breakfast casserole is done!
Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
- Be mindful of the fat content in your breakfast sausage. Some brands and varieties will have more grease. So, be sure to drain away as much of the extra grease as possible. Otherwise, the casserole will be soggy.
- Feel free to use any type of cheese you want. Just be sure to shred it or you may end up with chunks of un-melted cheese.
- I wouldn’t use a flavored crescent roll (like butter flavored), because you could end up with a soggy bottom.
- 8 Ounces Refrigerated Crescent Rolls (1 can)
- 1 Pound Bulk Pork Sausage
- 1 Cup White Onion, diced
- 1 Cup Green Pepper, diced
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 8 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups Milk
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Unroll the crescent rolls into one large sheet. Place the sheet into the bottom of the baking dish, and use your hands to seal the seams shut, so the crescent rolls form one large piece of dough. Set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over low to medium heat. Cook the sausage, onion, and pepper for 8 to 10 minutes until no pink remains. Drain any excess grease. Place the mixture over the crescent dough and sprinkle with cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over into the baking dish over the sausage and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of about 1-cup of the crescent roll breakfast casserole. Actual calories will vary. For more information and tips, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 665mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.