Biscuits and Gravy Casserole is a twist on the classic southern staple. Homemade sausage gravy is poured over fluffy biscuit pieces and baked to bubbling perfection. This is a hearty and filling breakfast that will stick to your ribs and give you the energy to tackle whatever your day has in store!
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
Biscuits and gravy is a tried and true breakfast favorite. Fluffy, golden biscuits smothered in creamy, white pepper gravy, with chunks of spiced breakfast sausage is a combination that simply can’t be beat on a cozy morning.
Now you can take all those delicious elements and simplify the process by making it into a mouthwatering breakfast casserole! Biscuits and gravy casserole is perfect for feeding a large crowd, say during the holidays or a family and friends brunch.
Although, if you’re looking for a simple recipe for a lazy Saturday at home, we can personally attest that this is a great option for those days as well! This recipe can easily be doubled for larger parties and is just as good reheated. Our Biscuits and Gravy Casserole will leave you full and satisfied!
How to Make Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray (or coat with butter). Set aside.
- Over medium heat, add the sausage to a large pan or skillet and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Add in the flour, butter, pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper (if using). Stir and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Now gradually whisk in the milk a little at a time.
- Continue to whisk, allowing the gravy to thicken for about 3-4 minutes. Remove the pan from heat.
- Arrange the biscuit pieces in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour the gravy mixture over the biscuits.
- Pop the dish in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the biscuits start to poke out of the top and turn a light golden color.
- Serve biscuits and gravy casserole with a garnish of freshly minced parsley and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Add a dash of paprika to your gravy for bonus flavor.
- Try adding scrambled eggs to the mix and top with cheddar cheese for a loaded style breakfast casserole.
- We used butter tastin’ biscuits, but any variety will work!
- If you’re a big fan of gravy, make an extra batch to have for additional servings.
- Use your favorite variety of breakfast sausage. Hot, medium, or mild will work for this casserole.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: You can store biscuits and gravy casserole leftovers in an airtight container (or tightly covered in the dish it was baked in) in your refrigerator for 3 days.
Reheating: Reheat the biscuits and gravy casserole in the microwave or in the oven until warmed through.
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Optional: ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 ½ cups milk
- 1 16.3-ounce can biscuits, each cut into 4 pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spravy a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray or grease with butter. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat, and add the sausage. Cook until brown and cooked through.
- Add the flour, butter, pepper, salt and cayenne. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Then, gradually whisk in the milk.
- Continue to whisk, and allow the gravy to thicken, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Arrange the biscuits in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour the gravy over the biscuits.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the biscuits start to poke out of the top and turn a light golden color.
- Serve with freshly minced parsley if desired. See post for storage options.