Want to make a warm breakfast treat for your family? Then try our overnight blueberry French toast casserole topped with a sweet blueberry sauce!
Kim and I were talking about breakfast recipes the other day and we realized that our site didn’t have any French toast casserole dishes.
Besides this recipe, we have one other morning casserole; our cheesy breakfast casserole with ham and hash browns and Monkey Bread Muffins, which have a similar French bread casserole build.
Well, we had to remedy that situation as soon as possible. Kim decided that she wanted to create a blueberry version for the website.
I have to say, she did a wonderful job. It’s warm, sweet, and loaded with blueberries. So, shall we get started?
How to make overnight French toast casserole?
First, start by buttering your large baking dish. I recommend a nine (9) by thirteen (13) inch pan, but any large casserole dish will work.
Also, if you don’t want to use butter, you can spray the pan generously with cooking spray.
Now, cut the bread into one (1) inch cubes and layer half the cubes into the bottom of the pan. See the photo above.
Next, dice the cream cheese and sprinkle it over the bread along with the blueberries.
Afterward, sprinkle the rest of the bread cubes over the cheese and berries. Set the French toast casserole aside.
At this point, it’s time to make the egg mixture. Grab a large mixing bowl, crack the eggs, and then add them to the bowl.
Use a whisk to combine the eggs, heavy cream, milk, and vanilla extract. Pour that mixture over the bread cubes, cheese, and berries.
Then, cover the breakfast casserole with plastic wrap and place it into your fridge for at least eight (8) hours or overnight.
Once the casserole has been refrigerated for at least eight (8) hours, remove the plastic wrap and let it sit for thirty (30) minutes at room temperature.
While it sits, preheat your oven to 350° F. Now, cover it with aluminum foil and place it into the oven for thirty (30) minutes.
Last, remove for the foil and continue baking the casserole for another twenty-five (25) to thirty (30) minutes.
The center should be set and the top golden brown. Take a look at the photo above. Set it aside, because now we’re making the sauce.
How to make a blueberry sauce with cornstarch?
Making a blueberry sauce with cornstarch is super simple. Use the directions below. When done, your sauce should like the one in the photo.
First, grab a medium saucepan and place it over low-medium heat. Add the water, sugar, and cornstarch to the pan and whisk them together.
Next, keep whisking the mixture as it comes to a simmer. As it begins to boil, it should thicken.
Let it boil for one (1) to two (2) minutes, then use a wooden spoon to stir in the blueberries.
Continue stirring the blueberry sauce as it cooks for another three (3) to four (4) minutes.
Then, remove it from the heat and add the butter. Guess what you do next? Stir the sauce even more as the butter melts.
Last, when the butter has melted, pour the sauce over the French toast casserole and serve.
That’s it, your overnight blueberry French toast casserole is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the breakfast casserole recipe and wish you all the best 🙂
On a side, I’m not providing a separate section for tips on this recipe because I added tips throughout the post.
If have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us for assistance.
Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- 14 Ounces French Bread, (or Italian bread cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Blueberries, (fresh, or frozen that have been thawed and rinsed)
- 12 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream, (or half and half)
- 1 Cup Milk, (we used whole)
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Cups Blueberries, (fresh or frozen that have been thawed and rinsed)
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
French Toast Casserole
- Generously butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish or spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread half the bread cubes into the bottom of the baking dish. Cut the cream cheese into small pieces, and dot the pieces on top of the bread cubes. Pour the blueberries evenly over the bread and cream cheese. Add the remaining bread pieces in an even layer. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the 12 eggs. Add the heavy cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the pan. Make sure to pour it slowly and evenly so all pieces are covered and it doesn’t spill out. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours or up to overnight.
- The following morning, remove the casserole from the fridge and take off the plastic wrap. Let the casserole sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, uncover and continue to bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the center is set. While the casserole bakes and cools, make the blueberry sauce.
Blueberry Sauce and Serve
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and cornstarch over low-medium heat. Whisk until the ingredients are combined and continue to whisk every few minutes. The mixture will begin to simmer and then boil. Stir constantly once the mixture starts to simmer, because it will thicken quickly.
- After it starts to boil, allow it to boil for 1 to 2 minutes then add the blueberries. Stir the blueberries for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, then turn off the heat and add the butter. Stir until the butter melts completely.
- Pour the blueberry sauce over the warm casserole or serve it with individual pieces. The casserole stays fresh for about 4 to 5 days when stored in the refrigerator.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a serving size of one (1) piece of the casserole (with sauce) when the whole casserole has been cut into twelve (12) equal-sized pieces. Actual calories will vary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 11gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 263mgSodium: 337mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 13g