*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Want to make a quick hearty breakfast? This cheesy breakfast casserole with hash browns has all your favorites; like ham, eggs, and cheddar cheese!
There are some mornings when a bowl of cereal or piece of toast just won’t cut it. For days like that you need a hearty breakfast bake.
For today’s recipe Kim and I are posting our cheesy breakfast casserole with hash browns.
This simple egg casserole features some of our morning time favorites. Eggs combined with cured ham, hash browns, peppers, onions, and cheddar cheese.
Special Equipment Needed:
Fortunately, this hash brown egg casserole isn’t complicated and you really don’t need anything special to make it. Just a baking a dish large enough to hold the ingredients.
How to make breakfast casserole with ham?
First things first, go ahead and dice the ham, onions and green peppers.
Also, shred the cheese, spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Next, grab a large mixing bowl and crack twelve (12) eggs into the bowl. Pour in a cup of milk and add the salt and pepper.
- A quick word on adding the spices. You can always wait until the breakfast casserole with hash browns is done before adding salt and pepper to taste. Nobody wants over seasoned food.
After that, in another large mixing bowl, mix the hash browns, cheddar cheese, green peppers, and onions.
- When it comes to cheese, keep in mind that type and quality does make a difference. For this egg baked casserole with ham, I recommend a Cabot Brand Vermont cheddar.
Then, once the hash browns and other ingredients are mixed, pour them into the prepared baking dish. Spread them out evenly.
Afterward, pour the egg mixture into the baking dish. Make sure to evenly pour it over all the hash browns so they can soak up the whipped eggs.
Now, place the hash brown breakfast casserole (uncovered) into your preheated oven for about an hour.
- You’ll know that it’s done when the center no longer jiggles and the edges and top are browned. Take a look at the photo above as a reference.
Last, remove the hash brown casserole from the oven and let it cool for about five (5) minutes before serving.
That’s it, your cheesy breakfast casserole recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the meal and wish you all the best 🙂
What can I put in my breakfast casserole recipe?
Okay, since this isn’t an overnight breakfast casserole recipe, the possibilities are endless. Here’s a small list of goodies you can put into your version to take it over the top.
- Green Chiles
- Breakfast Sausage
- Swiss Cheese
- Brie Cheese
- Gouda Cheese
- Smoked Cheddar Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Sweet Red Peppers
- Canadian Bacon
- Anything you want!
Looking for more easy breakfast recipes?
- Denver Omelette Breakfast Muffins
- Easy Cinnamon French Toast Recipe
- Creamy Cheesy Grits Recipe
- Instant Pot Frittata with Ham
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen and our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes!
Cheesy Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns
- 12 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 24 Ounces Hash Browns (frozen)
- 16 Ounces Ham (diced)
- 8 Ounces Cheddar Cheese (about 2 cups shredded)
- 1 1/4 Cups Green Bell Pepper (about 1 large pepper, diced)
- 1/2 Cup White Onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, toss together the hash browns, ham, cheese, bell pepper and onion. Transfer the hash brown mixture to the prepared baking dish, then pour the egg mixture over the top. The egg mixture should soak down into the dish. If necessary, use a spatula to spread out the eggs and hash browns, so they are evenly distributed in the pan.
- Bake uncovered for 50 to 60 minutes until the center is set and the edges are brown.