This Egg Casserole with Hash Browns has all your favorites like ham, eggs, green peppers, and cheddar cheese baked in one pan!
There are some mornings when a bowl of cereal or piece of toast just won't cut it. For days like that you need a hearty breakfast bake.
This simple egg casserole with hash browns features some of our morning time favorites. Eggs combined with cured ham, hash browns, peppers, onions, and cheddar cheese.
How to make an egg casserole with hash browns?
First things first, go ahead and dice the ham, onions and green peppers.
Also, shred the cheese, spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and preheat your oven to 350° F.
Next, grab a large mixing bowl and crack twelve eggs into the bowl. Pour in a cup of milk and add the salt and pepper.
- A quick word on adding the spices. You can always wait until the casserole is done before adding salt and pepper to taste. Nobody wants over seasoned food.
After that, in another large mixing bowl, mix the hash browns, cheddar cheese, green peppers, and onions.
- When it comes to cheese, keep in mind that type and quality does make a difference. For this egg baked casserole with ham, I recommend a Cabot Brand Vermont cheddar.
Then, once the hash browns and other ingredients are mixed, pour them into the prepared baking dish. Spread them out evenly.
Afterward, pour the egg mixture into the baking dish. Make sure to evenly pour it over all the hash browns so they can soak up the whipped eggs.
If needed, use a spatula to press the hash browns and other ingredients down into the egg mixture.
Now, place the hash brown breakfast casserole (uncovered) into your preheated oven for about an hour.
You'll know that it's done when the center no longer jiggles, the edges and top are browned, and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Take a look at the photo above as a reference.
Last, remove the hash brown casserole from the oven and let it cool for about five minutes before serving.
That's it, your cheesy breakfast casserole recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the meal and wish you all the best 🙂
Frequently Asked Questions
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 24 ounces frozen shredded hash browns
- 16 ounces ham, diced
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, about 2 cups shredded
- 1 ¼ cups green bell pepper, about 1 large pepper, diced
- ½ cup white onion, about ½ medium onion
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Set aside.12 large eggs1 cup whole milk1 teaspoon kosher salt½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a separate large bowl, toss together the hash browns, ham, cheese, bell pepper and onion. Transfer the hash brown mixture to the prepared baking dish, then pour the egg mixture over the top. The egg mixture should soak down into the dish. If necessary, use a spatula to spread out the eggs and hash browns, so they are evenly distributed in the pan.24 ounces frozen shredded hash browns16 ounces ham8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese1 ¼ cups green bell pepper½ cup white onion
- Bake uncovered for 50 to 60 minutes until the center is set and the edges are brown.