If you’re in the market for a breakfast recipe that’s hearty and filling, our Farmer’s Casserole is exactly what you’re looking for! Prep it on a slow Sunday morning and have breakfast for the whole week. Hash browns, eggs, Canadian bacon and more, this dish hits all the breakfast cravings!
Why do they call it “Farmer’s Casserole?” Because it’s made up of “farm” basic ingredients! Eggs, Canadian bacon, hash brown style potatoes, cheese, evaporated milk, and a dash of seasoning that you can totally customize.
This casserole is so easy to throw together the night before and just pop in the oven in the morning. Or whip it up over the weekend and have breakfast prepped all week!
Filling and delicious, this recipe can feed a crowd and is great for brunch, sleepovers, or big family get togethers. You could even make this for a breakfast for dinner night!
How to Make Farmer’s Casserole
- Lightly grease or butter a 9×13 baking dish (or an 8-inch casserole pan) and preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Layer the hash browns, shredded cheese, Canadian bacon, salt, pepper, and chili powder in the baking dish.
- Toss to thoroughly combine. Add the beaten eggs and evaporated milk and stir once more.
- Bake for 1- 1 ½ hours. The center should jiggle slightly but should not be watery.
- Let the casserole cool for 20 minutes to set before serving. Top with a dollop of sour cream and freshly chopped green onions as garnishes and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Swap the Canadian bacon (ham) for traditional bacon.
- This recipe is great for adding extra veggies like tomatoes, spinach, bell peppers, or green onions. Pretty much anything you can think of to add to an omelette or frittata, would be great in this dish as well!
- Top with sriracha for a spicy morning, talk about a wake up call!
- You can use any kind of frozen hashbrowns you prefer. You don’t have to use the ones with peppers but we like the flavor and texture they add.
- Change up the cheese for a variation of flavor.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Let the casserole cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Farmer’s Casserole is the epitome of ease when it comes to breakfast. This recipe was practically made to freeze in preparation for those busy mornings or unexpected weekend guests. Combine the casserole like you would normally but do not bake! Cover in plastic wrap and store in a freezer safe container for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator then bake as directed.
Reheating: When reheating, warm a serving in the stove or microwave until heated through.
- 3 ½ cups of frozen hash brown style potatoes with peppers
- 8 ounces of pepper jack or mozzarella cheese, shredded off the block
- 1 (6 ounce) package of Canadian bacon, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish or 8-inch casserole pan.
- Add the hash brown potatoes, cheese, Canadian bacon, salt, pepper and chili powder to the prepared pan.
- Toss to combine, then add the eggs and evaporated milk. Stir to combine.
- Bake for 1-1 ½ hours or until the center is slightly jiggly but is not watery.
- Let it cool for at least 20 minutes to let it set before serving with sour cream and freshly chopped green onions for garnish if desired.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 cup of casserole. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
*There is a large gap in the cook time due to the type/size of pan options. Start checking the casserole around the 1 hour mark but know that it could take up to 1 1/2 hours to fully cook.
*Photos courtesy of Karla Rae Photography.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 216mgSodium: 434mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 17g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.